Bear-proof container or NOT??? | High Sierra Topix  

Bear-proof container or NOT???

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.

Bear-proof container or NOT???

Postby Alpine high » Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:51 am

Okay, I'm heading down to the southern sierras (not in a national park, but in a national forest) for a 9 day trip and I have always hung my food and I've never had a problem with bears getting into my food, but it's been awhile and I'm wondering what all the fuss is about bearproof containers. Are they really necessary? Have people become so lazy that they leave food out and attract bears? Are bears really getting to be that much of a problem? Does everybody take bear containers now? Even in the national forests? I'd like to hear from you about what you've done to deal with this issue. I'll be above tree line on about 1/2 of the trip. This ought to be an interesting subject.

I will be taking my own dehydrated food and hope to keep food weight between 1.5 -1.75 lbs/per person/day.(13.5-15.75 lbs). If I take one( or more), what size(s) container should handle 4 people for 9 days,

Like I said, I am NOT GOING into an area where bear cans are required and the rangers say they have not had problems with bears where I am going. Hanging is okay according to the rangers. thanks :)
Last edited by Alpine high on Mon Jun 03, 2013 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Alpine high
Topix Novice

Experience: N/A

Re: Bear-proof container or NOT???

Postby Carne_DelMuerto » Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:08 am

Check out this thread: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=6938
Wonder is rock and water and the life that lives in-between.
Carne_DelMuerto
Topix Regular

Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Postby Scouter9 » Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:43 am

Personally, I'd use a canister. They're easier and more durable than the "bear bags" and they're harder to drag away or crush the food within. Dollars to Weight, the best one is the BearVault 500 for your needs. The Bearikade brand are lighter, but at triple the cost.

In my experience, bears have learned that they cannot get into the canisters and usually leave them alone. I've had pots, pan and stove knocked over but the adjacent canisters right where we left them the night before. Now, I've also returned to find my canister several yards away, covered in dirt and drool. In that case, the food was intact and the canister pretty much paid for itself in one move (that was a BV500).

4 People, nine days, you're looking at two BV500's, kinda depending what you bring for food, whether you repack it and so forth.
Scouter9
Topix Regular

Postby longri » Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:41 pm

Alpine high wrote:This ought to be an interesting subject.

I'm not proud that I took the hook.
Last edited by longri on Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
longri
Topix Expert

Postby AlmostThere » Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:55 pm

I would rent a couple of the largest bearikades.

Usually i take a canister no matter where in the sierra i go. It makes no sense to me to pretend the rules and the bears don't matter. Never had an issue with rodents, bears, raccoons or losing a rope to tree snag that way.

Frankly, there are too many weathered paracord loops in trees Already... I've watched people break rope the first night out more than once.

I would rather have a trip without hunger pangs than that kind of adventure.

Sent from my HTC Glacier using Tapatalk 2
AlmostThere
Topix Fanatic

Postby schmalz » Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:42 pm

I want the bears to stay wild so I take a cannister on any overnighter in the Sierra, even if it is not legally required.
schmalz
Topix Expert

Postby The Other Tom » Mon Jun 03, 2013 5:32 pm

AlmostThere wrote:I would rent a couple of the largest bearikades.

That's the best option IMHO
The Other Tom
Founding Member

Postby maverick » Mon Jun 03, 2013 5:40 pm

My view on this is that I will do what is best for the bears, even if it may inconvenience
my in a very small way.
HST= Wilderness Adventurer who knows no bounds, except for their own imagination.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Postby AlmostThere » Mon Jun 03, 2013 6:00 pm

Bearikade rental page: http://www.wild-ideas.net/rent-a-bearikade/

Much cheaper than buying, you get it in advance of the hike so you can practice packing and get it all in there, and the nice flush lid with the easy locks is so much more cooperative at 6 in the morning when it's freezing... I hated the Bear Vault lid at 32F.

Look at the volume of the can, practice packing in a comparable container and if you need you can throw in a Weekender rental to handle excess - they might make you a deal if you call them. Very nice folks.
AlmostThere
Topix Fanatic

Postby frisfraser » Mon Jun 03, 2013 8:02 pm

I have seen so many people lose all their food in one night hanging a bear bag. In the high country, the bear will just climb the small tree and run off with all your food. I have heard of bears untrying bear bag ropes. You dont want to risk not having a bear can.
frisfraser
Topix Novice

Postby rlown » Mon Jun 03, 2013 8:06 pm

AlmostThere wrote:Bearikade rental page: http://www.wild-ideas.net/rent-a-bearikade/

Much cheaper than buying, you get it in advance of the hike so you can practice packing and get it all in there, and the nice flush lid with the easy locks is so much more cooperative at 6 in the morning when it's freezing... I hated the Bear Vault lid at 32F.

Look at the volume of the can, practice packing in a comparable container and if you need you can throw in a Weekender rental to handle excess - they might make you a deal if you call them. Very nice folks.

agree on the BV call here. go with bearikade. heck, i own one.
rlown
Topix Junkie

Postby artrock23 » Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:41 pm

I own a BV450, and only use it when it's required. I prefer not to carry the extra weight or lose space in my pack, unless it's 'necessary'. In the 70s as a Boy Scout, I learned the proper way of securing ones food in a tree. Most of the time, i'm camping above 10.5K and in places where bears are not an issue. Now marmots... that's a different story! ;)
artrock23
Topix Acquainted

Next

Return to Outdoor Gear Topix