Giardia treatment? | High Sierra Topix  

Giardia treatment?

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.

Giardia treatment?

Postby quentinc » Mon Mar 19, 2012 5:19 pm

I seem to have picked up the nasty creature. This also once happened many many years ago, and my doctor prescribed Flagyl, which was unpleasant and didn't work. I remember doing research and coming up with an alternative, which I had to get filled at a compounding pharmacy in NJ (after convincing my doctor to prescribe it), because it's not normally carried in the U.S. I'm thinking it was Tinidazole, but I can't remember for sure. Anyone have recommendations?

By the way, I'm guessing that my friends forgot to filter the liter of water they claimed they had filtered for me. I treat with iodine when I'm doing my own water. This was in the extreme Southern Sierra, which is subject to an annual plague of cattle, so it's not that surprising the water was infected.

quentinc
Topix Expert

Experience: N/A

Re: Giardia treatment?

Postby Carne_DelMuerto » Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:09 pm

The Flagyl didn't work? Did you complete the course?

My week on Flagyl was terrible, but it killed the bug. Good luck to you!
Wonder is rock and water and the life that lives in-between.
Carne_DelMuerto
Topix Regular

Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Postby rlown » Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:14 pm

quentinc wrote:By the way, I'm guessing that my friends forgot to filter the liter of water they claimed they had filtered for me. I treat with iodine when I'm doing my own water.

I'm thinking you need new friends..
rlown
Topix Junkie

Postby paul » Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:44 pm

Tinidazole is the stuff. I beleive a brand name is Tiniba or somthing like that. Works like a charm compared to Flagyl - and I have taken both at different times. Mind you, I have no idea how toxic it may be, or why you can't get it in the USA when it is available in other countries. I got in it Nepal in 1985.
paul
Topix Expert

Postby quentinc » Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:48 pm

rlown wrote:I'm thinking you need new friends..

I know. They're starting to remind me of your friends (on this board)! :)

CDM: Yes, I did. The reading I'm now doing on the Internet shows it has a lower success rate than Tinidazole.

Paul: thanks.
quentinc
Topix Expert

Postby maverick » Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:14 pm

Hi Q

You probably have read this already, but just in case http://tinidazole.com/
Would it not be great if these medications did not have all those side effects.
A lot of meds you see advertised on tv have worse side effects than the primary
illness.
HST= Wilderness Adventurer who knows no bounds, except for their own imagination.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Postby AlmostThere » Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:48 am

I'm thinking you need to get something other than iodine for regular use... CDC is saying that due to potential health issues cause by long term use and iodine being less effective on giardia (and ineffective for crypto) they recommend chlorine dioxide or other treatments that don't have health risks and more efficacy against cyst borne critters.
AlmostThere
Topix Fanatic

Postby quentinc » Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:50 am

Thanks all.
Mav, interesting that that website says Flagyl is carcinogenic.

AT, I'm still suspecting that my friends only thought they had filtered the water in that bottle (they were using it to collect water dripping very slowly from a catchment basin). But it's interesting to hear that chlorine is considered more effective with giardia. As for iodine health risks, I'm not real concerned since I usually don't treat water, except in stock country, so I use it pretty rarely. Even on this past trip, I collected recently fallen snow for most of my drinking water.
quentinc
Topix Expert

Postby AlmostThere » Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:58 pm

Not chlorine - that's not effective either, until you turn the water into swimming pool water. Chlorine DIOXIDE. It's not the same stuff as bleach.

Just don't give any of the iodine treated water to anyone else. Especially pregnant women.
AlmostThere
Topix Fanatic

Postby rlown » Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:07 pm

REI has it: http://www.rei.com/product/736898/potab ... kage-of-30

not sure i like a 4 hr wait for a drink of water though..
rlown
Topix Junkie

Postby Wandering Daisy » Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:01 pm

I use Chlorine Diox tabs all the time. It is my understanding that it zaps Giardia within an hour, and the 4-hr wait is for viruses. It takes some getting used to but I have established a routine that works OK. I put 2 liters of water in a 2.5-liter Platypus first thing when I get to camp and put in 2 tabs. If I am really thirsty, I will heat water and have tea, although I usually can wait for dinner when I boil water anyway. I use the treated water ONLY for drinking water. No point in wasting it if you boil cooking water. If I get into camp late, then I may have to drink the treated water prior to the 4-hour wait before bedtime. I usually get into camp 4-5PM so the water is usually ready by dark. I pour 1 liter into my drinking bottle and drink half that at night. That leaves me with a bit more than a liter of water for the following day. I use untreated water for breakfast and coffee, because I boil it anyway. So, just take enough water containers to hold the amount of treated water you need for the next day and sipping in the evening and night. After a while it becomes routine. If I think I am going to run out during the day, I will treat a liter and just drink it sooner (after half an hour, ideally an hour). I have never been in a situation where I could not wait at least half an hour for a drink. I have noticed that if you drink the water early it tastes of chlorine. When it is fully done, it has no chlorine taste at all, but it does make the water taste "flat".

This works for me because I am not a big water consumer on the trail. I prefer to "tank up" in the morning before walking and at night, after the water is treated. I also view water treatment as reducing risk, not eliminating it. Even if I have to drink some water directly from a stream during the day, I have at least reduced the overall risk. Not perfect, but OK with me.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Junkie

Postby AlmostThere » Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:27 pm

Viruses are zapped in 15 mins with chlorine dioxide. Cyst borne pests take longer. Turbid water and cold water take much longer.

4 hours is a time mandated by the EPA for killing cryptosporidium in water that is both very cold and very dirty. All bacteria and viruses, except cryptosporidium and giardia, are killed in 15 minutes (even in cold water). Cryptosporidium and giardia are both killed in 30. In cold, very dirty (cloudy) water, it can take 4 hours for a full crypto kill.
AlmostThere
Topix Fanatic

Next

Return to Outdoor Gear Topix