svea 123 | High Sierra Topix  

svea 123

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
User avatar

svea 123

Postby paula53 » Tue Oct 11, 2011 4:57 pm

Anyone still using a svea 123 white gas stove? :cool:



User avatar
paula53
Topix Acquainted
 
Posts: 81
Joined: Tue May 01, 2007 2:31 pm
Location: carson city nv
Experience: N/A

User avatar

Re: svea 123

Postby hikin_jim » Tue Oct 11, 2011 5:12 pm

paula53 wrote:Anyone still using a svea 123 white gas stove? :cool:

Heck yeah. Good stove.

Image

Image

HJ
Backpacking stove reviews and information: Adventures In Stoving
User avatar
hikin_jim
Topix Regular
 
Posts: 184
Joined: Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:34 pm
Experience: N/A

User avatar

Re: svea 123

Postby paula53 » Tue Oct 11, 2011 5:20 pm

I currently have a Whisperlight. Want to buy a Svea 123. I had one for 20 years, then let it go. Its not fussy at all & will function perfectly for many, many years. Not like most of the white gas stoves sold today.
User avatar
paula53
Topix Acquainted
 
Posts: 81
Joined: Tue May 01, 2007 2:31 pm
Location: carson city nv
Experience: N/A

User avatar

Re: svea 123

Postby Tom » Tue Oct 11, 2011 6:38 pm

I use my old Primus 71 for weekenders. That thing never let me down. I purchased it from Pico's Sporting Goods in Lompoc, CA in the summer of 1970. I rebuilt it once with a kit...do they still make the kits?
User avatar
Tom
Topix Acquainted
 
Posts: 64
Joined: Mon Oct 30, 2006 9:55 am
Location: Santa Maria, CA
Experience: N/A

User avatar

Re: svea 123

Postby hikin_jim » Tue Oct 11, 2011 8:15 pm

paula53 wrote:I currently have a Whisperlight. Want to buy a Svea 123. I had one for 20 years, then let it go. Its not fussy at all & will function perfectly for many, many years. Not like most of the white gas stoves sold today.

Paula:

Plenty of Svea 123's around. They still make them today although they're made in China not Sweden now. The Svea 123 is the only stove from that era still made today.

Manventureoutpost has them for $75.00 which is a good price.

You can also get them on eBay -- for a lot less.

you could probably also get one through this forum.

HJ
Backpacking stove reviews and information: Adventures In Stoving
User avatar
hikin_jim
Topix Regular
 
Posts: 184
Joined: Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:34 pm
Experience: N/A

User avatar

Re: svea 123

Postby hikin_jim » Tue Oct 11, 2011 8:16 pm

Tom wrote:I use my old Primus 71 for weekenders. That thing never let me down. I purchased it from Pico's Sporting Goods in Lompoc, CA in the summer of 1970. I rebuilt it once with a kit...do they still make the kits?
Dunno if they make kits for a Primus 71 or not. The parts from an Optimus 80 or Svea 123 (not Svea 123R) should be compatible. You could check http://www.optimus.se and see what they've got.

HJ
Backpacking stove reviews and information: Adventures In Stoving
User avatar
hikin_jim
Topix Regular
 
Posts: 184
Joined: Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:34 pm
Experience: N/A

User avatar

Re: svea 123

Postby paula53 » Tue Oct 11, 2011 8:47 pm

Thank you HJ. I plan to buy one very soon to try out this October, up in Desolation. :)
User avatar
paula53
Topix Acquainted
 
Posts: 81
Joined: Tue May 01, 2007 2:31 pm
Location: carson city nv
Experience: N/A

User avatar

Re: svea 123

Postby freestone » Sat Oct 15, 2011 7:16 am

Going back in time again. If you are a pyromaniac, this stove is for you. :) This is a Svea 123 I purchased back in the early 70s with an aluminum windscreen and made in Sweden. It still fires right up and is blowtorch strong, however, I am not a fan of white gas stoves, they tend to be noisy, leak fuel when not in use, and priming involves dousing the stove with gas then lighting it, and pray that it will start sputtering and not blow up. If I were to use it now, i would ditch the pot and lid, use a teapot and only boil water. In this mode, one liter of fuel would go along way.

Image
Image
User avatar
freestone
Topix Expert
 
Posts: 571
Joined: Fri Nov 11, 2005 9:42 pm
Location: Santa Barbara
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

User avatar

Re: svea 123

Postby frediver » Sat Oct 15, 2011 7:31 am

I've never seen a SEVA set like that but IIRC Primus offered a set. The Primus also had a slightly larger fuel tank.
User avatar
frediver
Topix Regular
 
Posts: 268
Joined: Sat Jan 13, 2007 11:15 pm
Location: n.cal
Experience: N/A

User avatar

Re: svea 123

Postby dave54 » Sat Oct 15, 2011 6:30 pm

Still have mine, purchased circa 1972.

Makes the devil's own noise, but once going, cannot be blown out in the worst windstorm and is (relatively) easy to light in below zero temps. I do not have the leakage problem mentioned above.

It used almost exclusivley to boil water in an old small teakettle, and if miserly, a liter of fuel will last a full week of meals.
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~
Log off and get outdoors!
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
User avatar
dave54
Founding Member
 
Posts: 775
Joined: Fri Oct 28, 2005 10:24 pm
Location: where the Sierras, Cascades, and Great Basin meet.
Experience: N/A

User avatar

Re: svea 123

Postby hikin_jim » Sun Oct 16, 2011 9:30 pm

freestone wrote:Going back in time again. If you are a pyromaniac, this stove is for you. :) This is a Svea 123 I purchased back in the early 70s with an aluminum windscreen and made in Sweden. It still fires right up and is blowtorch strong, however, I am not a fan of white gas stoves, they tend to be noisy, leak fuel when not in use, and priming involves dousing the stove with gas then lighting it, and pray that it will start sputtering and not blow up. If I were to use it now, i would ditch the pot and lid, use a teapot and only boil water. In this mode, one liter of fuel would go along way.

Dude! I hope you're joking about that priming technique. You really could cause the safety release valve to release -- not safe!

Check out this priming demonstration for an alternative to "dousing with gasoline" :eek:


HJ
User avatar
hikin_jim
Topix Regular
 
Posts: 184
Joined: Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:34 pm
Experience: N/A

User avatar

Re: svea 123

Postby rlown » Tue Oct 18, 2011 8:19 pm

great video, HJ! My friend bought his Svea 123 in ~'76. He was a pyro, so he kind of enjoyed the white gas priming experience :D He also learned about why you remove the key the hard way.
User avatar
rlown
Topix Junkie
 
Posts: 5329
Joined: Thu Oct 25, 2007 5:00 pm
Location: Petaluma and Wilton, CA
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Next

Return to Outdoor Gear Topix



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests