Mt. Whitney Search & Rescue Operation in Progress | High Sierra Topix  

Mt. Whitney Search & Rescue Operation in Progress

Topics related to peak bagging, rock climbing and bouldering in the foothills and high country of the Sierra Nevada. Be sure to also check out the Information Booth forum category to learn from / see if you can contribute to a profile for High Sierra 13'ers, 14'ers and cross country passes.

Mt. Whitney Search & Rescue Operation in Progress

Postby SEKI SAR » Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:57 am

Inyo County SAR and SEKI SAR are currently conducting an Search & Rescue Operation on Mt. Whitney. SAR teams are searching for 3 male individuals aged in their mid-forties that summited Mt. Whitney late Monday evening. Last contact with the party was at 8:30 a.m. Tuesday via text msg from the summit hut requesting assistance. Clothing and equipment descriptions are unknown at this time. Any hikers who may have seen or come into contact with this party are requested to contact SEKI SAR Incident Command at 559 565-3117, 3118, 3119 or 559 565-3188, 3189.

Any assistance in this incident is greatly appreciated.

SEKI SAR

SEKI SAR
Topix Newbie

Experience: N/A

Re: Mt. Whitney Search & Rescue Operation in Progress

Postby rlown » Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:03 pm

Nice to have you aboard and broadcast SAR Ops.. Please give us an update on closure of the case..
rlown
Topix Junkie

Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Postby tomcat_rc » Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:39 pm

reposted on the Whitney board
mountain hiking is addictive:
I can quit anytime I want - I just choose not to want
tomcat_rc
Topix Regular

Postby Steve_C » Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:17 pm

Also posted on WhitneyZone:

Steve_C
Topix Acquainted

Postby SEKI Public Affairs » Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:56 pm

UPDATE:

See the three attached flyers for specific information and photos of the missing parties. Any hikers who may have seen or come in contact with any of the individuals should call the Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Parks Incident Command Post at 559-565-3117 or Inyo County at 760-873-2513.

Approximately 45 people have been assigned to the incident as of October 20. Search operations are being hampered by snowstorms with accumulations between 1-3 feet of new snow. Additional staff and a helicopter have been ordered in the hope that the weather will allow search operations to continue tomorrow.
Attachments
MISSING PERSON-Stevan Filips.pdf
(143.48 KiB) Downloaded 26 times
MISSING PERSON-Dale Clymens.pdf
(183.34 KiB) Downloaded 23 times
MISSING PERSON-Phillip Abraham.pdf
(144.67 KiB) Downloaded 26 times
SEKI Public Affairs
Topix Acquainted

Postby Steve_C » Thu Oct 21, 2010 12:45 pm

Steve_C
Topix Acquainted

Postby maverick » Thu Oct 21, 2010 4:07 pm

I'm glad they were found uninjured!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Postby SEKI Public Affairs » Fri Oct 22, 2010 7:53 pm

See news release about additional missing hikers...
Attachments
NEWS RELEASE - Mount Whitney Area Search and Rescue Ends - Last Two Missing People Found.jpg
SEKI Public Affairs
Topix Acquainted

Postby BSquared » Sun Oct 24, 2010 6:34 pm

Yet another good reason for getting a SPOT. You know, I think I've nearly convinced myself... ;)

There's clearly another interesting story here, though (in addition to the story about the Nebraska climbers): what was their intended "cross-country loop?" What was their actual route? How did they manage to get to Road's End through all that snow? Hope more of this comes out!
—B²
BSquared
Founding Member

Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Postby rlown » Sun Oct 24, 2010 6:46 pm

Not sure a SPOT would have been any better then the cell phone they texted with.. But, It does depend on where you are and if you can still operate the device..

And why does the initial report say 3 missing hikers and the report out memo says 2?

Where there two incidents here? I'm almost thinking that SEKI SAR and SEKI public affairs are reporting different incidents..
rlown
Topix Junkie

Postby BSquared » Mon Oct 25, 2010 3:44 am

Over on WPSMB, George Durkee reports that the father-and-son pair went over Forester, then Glen, then down Paradise Valley. They are said to have met some other hikers, who showed them "the way out" (seems odd they didn't go down Bubbs Creek, or even over Shepherd's Pass, but I'm sure they had their reasons -- Shepherd's Pass trail was probably completely obscured by snow, for example. Some wag over on WPSMB said it was a good thing they met those other hikers or they'd have wound up in Tahoe ;)).
—B²
BSquared
Founding Member

Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Postby BrianF » Mon Oct 25, 2010 6:54 pm

I am glad to see posting on the site by the authorities about SARs in progress, I hope it will be part of a standard procedure. George Durkee surmised that the wayward hikers didn't have a large scale map of the area, only the Whitney Quad, so once they were out of that zone they didn't know which way to go. Thats why I like those big Tom Harrison maps. I carry them so that from a summit I can identify what I am seeing in the distance.
There is no limit to the extent to which people can be confused. In the late 70s while climbing in the Kearsarge pinnacles we were visited by an SAR helicopter looking for a lost dayhiker who had climbed University peak. When we hiked out the next day we found SAR wrapping up their command post at Onion Valley and were told the following story: The guy had sunmmited University and somehow got turned around and descended into Center Basin (don't ask me how you can mistake Center basin for the Owens valley in daylight in clear weather) He proceeded to hike along the JMT, and still thinking he was on the Owens valley side, when he saw a sign pointing to Kearsarge pass he went in the opposite direction and was found by SAR almost to Cedar Grove along Bubbs creek.
The direction you are moving in is what matters, not the place you happen to be -Colin Fletcher
BrianF
Topix Regular

Return to Peak Bagging / Rock Climbing / Bouldering