Stopping the Road by Jack Fisher

Discuss your favorite wilderness related books. Share your favorite poetry, quotes and folktales. Here's your chance to showcase your creative side!
Troutdog 59
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Stopping the Road by Jack Fisher

Post by Troutdog 59 »

I just picked up a copy of the above entitled book and found it a quite enjoyable read about the efforts of a collective group of individuals who succeeded in stopping a proposed trans Sierra highway from the Central Valley to Reds Meadow/Devils Postpile. I'd heard of the story for years, but the book does a good job of describing the roles of key players from both sides of story, although the author does lean to those in opposition to the project. Several residents/business owners of Mammoth are cited as playing key roles in the 50's, 60's, and 70's to preserve the areas small town feel and charm, that would be lost with the addition if a major highway came through town.

I for one am glad that the road was never built, as well as others I head heard of south of there. However, having just returned from my first visit to the Mammoth/June Lakes area in years, I have to wonder if the Mammoth of 2014 is the same one the residents in 1972 envisioned?? Place was a zoo!!
Once in a while you can get shown the light
In the strangest places if you look at it right.

The Grateful Dead
Mradford
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Stopping the Road by Jack Fisher

Post by Mradford »

Sounds like a great book. I was also in Mammoth just recently, and felt the same way as you. It was like this year Mammoth tourism was on steroids. All the trail head parking lots in the basin were ALWAYS full. I usually stick to camping at convict to avoid all the craziness, plus it is closer to Hot Creek.