Tuolumne to Tahoe via PCT | High Sierra Topix  

Tuolumne to Tahoe via PCT

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!

Tuolumne to Tahoe via PCT

Postby Alwayswalking » Sun Feb 10, 2013 2:56 pm

I ran into RoguePhotonic last summer, just north of McClure Meadows, and he suggested I check out this site. Glad I did. Wonderful source of info for my favorite place on earth. Couple of quick questions: I'm planning on hiking from Tuolumne Meadows to Tahoe this summer. I'm having trouble finding a map series similar to the Tom Harrison series maps. Do they exist? Also, figure I'll need one resupply. Best location? I'd also appreciate any must see or avoid areas. I'm just starting to plan and research so any input would be greatly appreciated.

Alwayswalking
Topix Newbie

Experience: N/A

Re: Tuolumne to Tahoe via PCT

Postby SweetSierra » Sun Feb 10, 2013 5:42 pm

Welcome to HST Alwayswalking!

For maps, try National Geographic Trails Illustrated maps here: http://www.nationalgeographic.com/
They have topo maps/trails of areas across the U.S. Under the search function, enter one of the major features of the areas you will be passing through. They have maps that cover fairly wide areas. I just did a search for a route I'm doing this summer to the Snowmass Wilderness in Colorado and I found a map of the entire route. I'm sure they have one of Tuolumne Meadows and environs and the trail in the Lake Tahoe area.
SweetSierra
Topix Regular

Postby Alwayswalking » Sun Feb 10, 2013 6:29 pm

Thanks for the welcome and reply Sweetsierra. I did glance at National Geographic, but didn't really explore its full potential. I'll give it more effort.
Alwayswalking
Topix Newbie

Postby SweetSierra » Sun Feb 10, 2013 6:58 pm

If you have an REI near you, they carry Trails Illustrated maps.

I don't know about resupply from Tuolumne north. Others here might have more information on that.

It sounds like a great trip! And fun to plan for it, especially in the heart of winter.
SweetSierra
Topix Regular

Postby maverick » Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:50 pm

Welcome to HST! Click on this link and scroll down to the "Index of Resupply Points"
http://www.tahoetowhitney.com/Resupply/ ... _Tips.html
HST= Wilderness Adventurer who knows no bounds, except for their own imagination.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Postby Alwayswalking » Mon Feb 11, 2013 5:20 pm

Perfect Maverick. Thanks for the help.
Alwayswalking
Topix Newbie

Postby cloudlesssky » Tue Feb 12, 2013 7:01 am

I'm tentatively planning to do Tahoe to Mammoth this summer. If you find a good set of maps please let me know. I've bought both the Forest Service PCT map and the K. Scott Parks PCT books, but they don't quite scratch the itch. I really like the Tom Harrison JMT map set and would like something similar. I'm currently considering making my own.

I've looked at the resupply situation and I'm thinking that Kennedy Meadows Resort (http://www.sonorapassvacations.com/plac ... adows.html) on Hwy 108 is the best bet. It's about 1/2 way for me - it may be a little to close to Tuolumne for your trip. It's about 10 miles east (on hwy 108) from where you cross Hwy 108 near Sonora Pass.

There's various contact info on the web if you do a search. Curiously this resupply option isn't listed in K Scott Park's book. If anyone knows why I'd be interested.
cloudlesssky
Topix Regular

Postby RoguePhotonic » Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:01 am

The National Geopgraphic maps should cover all of this route.
RoguePhotonic
Topix Fanatic

Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Postby QITNL » Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:38 pm

There are some good PCT maps here:
http://www.pctmap.net/download/p/mapdl.html
QITNL
Topix Acquainted

Postby Alwayswalking » Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:27 am

Those look perfect. Thanks for the link QITNL
Alwayswalking
Topix Newbie

Postby cloudlesssky » Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:08 am

Works for me too. Thanks QINTL and Halfmile!
cloudlesssky
Topix Regular

Postby Tom_H » Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:44 pm

Kennedy Meadows is a good location, but you'll either have to divert away from the PCT and come back to it further north, or if you don't want to miss any of it, make a side trip and return from Emigrant Meadow Lake or Kennedy Creek.

Where is your planned terminus? I would recommend Meeks Bay. From Echo Lakes to Meeks Bay there is a string of about 30 lakes. If you terminate at Glen Alpine Spring or Emerald Bay, you will miss a lot of this beautiful water world.

Below is a copy of a post I made in another thread. The OP in that thread wanted a 7-8 day trip. You can pass through this area much more quickly, 2 or 3 days. If you do want to take longer and fish these lakes, the store at Lower Echo Lakes Marina is a good resupply point.

Day 1 Near Echo Summit, take the water taxi from the marina at the lower end of Echo Lakes to the upper end of Upper Echo. You start out from a fairly high elevation. It's not a bad first day to the little plot of land in between Tamarack, Ralston, and Cagwin Lakes.

2 From there, depart for Lake of the Woods. Going north from there, you find a number of small lakes to visit if you choose on the way to Aloha. Aloha itself might be a good second day camp or hike up to Le Conte for a little isolation and more view.

3 Next pass Heather and Susie on the way to Gilmore. The climb of Tallac is a nice side trip.

4 On to Dicks Lake with a possible side trip to Half Moon.

5 From Dicks, take the use trail by Fontanilis and follow the stream exiting it as it cascades down the face of a pluton. This is not hard hiking and it is only a few hundred feet of extremely easy cross country at the foot of the granite through a level forest until you rejoin the PTC. This is a short, but very worthwhile detour from the PCT. From there, continue to Upper and Middle Velma (as well as another lake that shows no name on my map).

6 Now climb to Phipps Pass and down to Phipps Lake.

7 Pass Grouse, Rubicon, unnamed, Stony Ridge, and Shadow, (possible side trip to Hidden) on the way to Crag Lake. There are some nice secluded flats near the SE corner.

8 Pass Genevieve and exit at Meeks Bay, Tahoe.
Tom_H
Topix Expert

Return to Backpacking / Hiking / Camping