Plane Crash Remains below Echo Col

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Post Reply
User avatar
Bluewater
Topix Expert
Posts: 567
Joined: Sun Oct 23, 2011 3:33 pm
Experience: Level 4 Explorer
Location: Laguna Beach
Contact:

Plane Crash Remains below Echo Col

Post by Bluewater » Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:06 pm

While exiting the first section of the SHR last week I came across some plane crash remains at the bottom of the ice field below Echo Col. I've seen several photos of how this snow/ice field has been melting over the past 10 - 20 years but I wasn't aware of this wreck.

The AFRCC website has it is listed as a Mooney that crashed on Feb., 16th, 1980. I found the obit for the pilot and it looks like he was a prominent physicist named Robert V. Pole. There must have been a bad storm at that time because another small plane went down nearby in the Sierras on the same day.

The ice is almost completely melted away after such a mild winter and almost the entire summer to thaw. The plane looked to be in very good condition considering it's been there for 32 years.

I'll post a TR from the SHR trip, but in the meantime here are a few photos of the wreck.
1.JPG
2.JPG
3.JPG
4.JPG
5.JPG
6.JPG
You must be registered and logged in to view the files/photos attached to this post.








User avatar
DriveFly44
Topix Regular
Posts: 268
Joined: Tue Jul 15, 2008 9:33 am
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker
Location: Twain Harte

Re: Plane Crash Remains below Echo Col

Post by DriveFly44 » Fri Sep 28, 2012 6:21 pm

Wow, that's amazing and kind of eerie. Looks fairly well preserved from being under all that ice for over 30 years. Being a pilot I'm always interested in this kind of stuff. Thanks for sharing.


Ladd

User avatar
Bluewater
Topix Expert
Posts: 567
Joined: Sun Oct 23, 2011 3:33 pm
Experience: Level 4 Explorer
Location: Laguna Beach
Contact:

Re: Plane Crash Remains below Echo Col

Post by Bluewater » Sat Sep 29, 2012 10:14 am

DriveFly44 wrote:Wow, that's amazing and kind of eerie. Looks fairly well preserved from being under all that ice for over 30 years. Being a pilot I'm always interested in this kind of stuff. Thanks for sharing.


Ladd
Thanks Ladd. It was definitely a somber scene. I always wonder why people fly over the Sierras during stormy conditions. As a pilot do you think it is safer to fly these days?

User avatar
cgundersen
Topix Expert
Posts: 958
Joined: Sun Jul 16, 2006 1:07 pm
Experience: N/A

Re: Plane Crash Remains below Echo Col

Post by cgundersen » Sat Sep 29, 2012 12:47 pm

Bluewater,
How apropos. I felt as if I'd survived a plane crash on my only transit of Echo col. Those remnants would not do my confidence any good, but Echo is way off my radar!
cg

User avatar
Bluewater
Topix Expert
Posts: 567
Joined: Sun Oct 23, 2011 3:33 pm
Experience: Level 4 Explorer
Location: Laguna Beach
Contact:

Re: Plane Crash Remains below Echo Col

Post by Bluewater » Mon Oct 01, 2012 4:24 pm

cgundersen wrote:Bluewater,
How apropos. I felt as if I'd survived a plane crash on my only transit of Echo col. Those remnants would not do my confidence any good, but Echo is way off my radar!
cg
I couldn't agree more cgundersen. The hike/down climb on the north side of Echo Col is a little sketchy at times. I was coming from the south/JMT side and the climb up the opposite way would be tough! Were you going towards Lake Sabrina?

User avatar
DriveFly44
Topix Regular
Posts: 268
Joined: Tue Jul 15, 2008 9:33 am
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker
Location: Twain Harte

Re: Plane Crash Remains below Echo Col

Post by DriveFly44 » Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:20 pm

Bluewater wrote:
DriveFly44 wrote:Wow, that's amazing and kind of eerie. Looks fairly well preserved from being under all that ice for over 30 years. Being a pilot I'm always interested in this kind of stuff. Thanks for sharing.


Ladd
Thanks Ladd. It was definitely a somber scene. I always wonder why people fly over the Sierras during stormy conditions. As a pilot do you think it is safer to fly these days?
I think overall it is but so much of flying safety is not getting into those situations. I've always lived by the old saying.....there are old pilots, and bold pilots. There are no old bold pilots.


Ladd

User avatar
Bluewater
Topix Expert
Posts: 567
Joined: Sun Oct 23, 2011 3:33 pm
Experience: Level 4 Explorer
Location: Laguna Beach
Contact:

Re: Plane Crash Remains below Echo Col

Post by Bluewater » Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:31 pm

DriveFly44 wrote:
Bluewater wrote:
DriveFly44 wrote:Wow, that's amazing and kind of eerie. Looks fairly well preserved from being under all that ice for over 30 years. Being a pilot I'm always interested in this kind of stuff. Thanks for sharing.


Ladd
Thanks Ladd. It was definitely a somber scene. I always wonder why people fly over the Sierras during stormy conditions. As a pilot do you think it is safer to fly these days?
I think overall it is but so much of flying safety is not getting into those situations. I've always lived by the old saying.....there are old pilots, and bold pilots. There are no old bold pilots.


Ladd
That is great. I almost woke up my wife from laughing. I'm hoping to eventually be an old bold backpacker.

Andy.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: bobby49, giantbrookie, Google Adsense [Bot], notis and 9 guests