Ram Lakes/Purple Lake Pass? | High Sierra Topix  

Ram Lakes/Purple Lake Pass?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!

Ram Lakes/Purple Lake Pass?

Postby BuckSnort » Wed Feb 08, 2012 3:16 pm

Anyone been over these passes marked A&B ?

BuckSnort
Topix Acquainted

Experience: N/A

Re: Ram Lakes/Purple Lake Pass?

Postby maverick » Wed Feb 08, 2012 3:58 pm

Nope, but "A" looks to steep from the west, your "B" option looks doable, but
if your intentions are to get over to the Convict Creek drainage then why not
use Pretty Pass (class 2) east-southeast, above Franklin Lake, and then descend
to Lake Dorothy.
HST= Wilderness Adventurer who knows no bounds, except for their own imagination.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Postby BuckSnort » Wed Feb 08, 2012 4:53 pm

Thanks Maverick, I was thinking about taking the drainage to the north the Bloody/Laurel Lakes..

Looking at my topo's I see another pass that may work.. East of Franklin Lake just N. of pretty pass..

Clicked on the link in you're Signature... Amazing photo's!
BuckSnort
Topix Acquainted

Postby maverick » Wed Feb 08, 2012 5:32 pm

Yeap, that one that looks doable, and would put you right around Bunny Lake.

Bucksnort wrote:
Clicked on the link in you're Signature... Amazing photo's!
Thanks.
HST= Wilderness Adventurer who knows no bounds, except for their own imagination.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Postby Wandering Daisy » Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:43 pm

These photos are of the ridge area you labeled"B". The middle one is taken from the drainag to the south, the other two from the middle Ram lake

Wandering Daisy
Topix Junkie

Postby Wandering Daisy » Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:45 pm

Sorry- I think I meant the first and third photo were taken from the upper Ram Lake.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Junkie

Postby sparky » Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:49 pm

I have also been looking into these passes. There isnt a lot if info on the internet, but I did find pictures of people that dayhiked to ram lakes pass, from the east and they didnt descend the west side i believe. I have a couple threads dedicated to convict area info and some members posted photos. Might be the same ones above. Looks scary but doable.
There is a million ways to be human, all are worthwhile.

True happiness is the absence of striving for happiness.
-Chuang Tzu.
sparky
Topix Expert

Postby BuckSnort » Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:28 am

Daisy, Thanks you for the pics... Nothing beats an actual photo to get an idea of areas... I have been looking (on maps) of the Ram Lake basin area for close to 8 years now, thinking about doing a trip in there in sept. maybe... Hopefully I will have some solitude.. Got any more pics of the area?
BuckSnort
Topix Acquainted

Postby ceragold5150 » Thu Feb 09, 2012 7:49 am

we drop in just west of the high point - on your map where you see MUIR we follow the letter I and drop right down to Big Ram Lake. Typical boulder hoping. Great place to have all to yourselves. The view from the high point is great. You can see Big Virginia in the distance too! Good fishing. I saw a big cat there on our last trip.

Pass A - i have not used. Pass B my grandmother could hike. you will notice more foot traffic as you near Pass B
ceragold5150
Topix Acquainted

Postby BuckSnort » Thu Feb 09, 2012 11:07 am

ceragold5150 wrote:we drop in just west of the high point - on your map where you see MUIR we follow the letter I and drop right down to Big Ram Lake. Typical boulder hoping. Great place to have all to yourselves. The view from the high point is great. You can see Big Virginia in the distance too! Good fishing. I saw a big cat there on our last trip.

Pass A - i have not used. Pass B my grandmother could hike. you will notice more foot traffic as you near Pass B

Great info, Much appreciated..Any Golden's up there?
BuckSnort
Topix Acquainted

Postby SSSdave » Thu Feb 09, 2012 11:57 am

I would immediately upon looking at a 7.5" topo reject both those routes A and B as places I would try carrying a backpack across while trying to keep away from class 3 dangers. The one known route, Pretty Pass requires careful route finding to stay away from class 3,
SSSdave
Topix Fanatic

Postby ceragold5150 » Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:15 pm

I did take a good fall on the pass i speak of one year. No injury but it could of been serious. SSSdave made me think about our route and i guess it could be a challange picking the right lines but 20+ years roaming the sierra's you forget who you are speaking to and forget about skill levels. Pass B is forsure easier than climbing out of Larual Lakes. I guess it depends on how much experience you have off trail.

To answer your questions about goldens? How about an update after your trip. The best part about my trips to the sierra's are about the unknown - if you know what's there you naturally expect similar results. Good Luck :thumbsup:
ceragold5150
Topix Acquainted

Next

Return to Backpacking / Hiking / Camping