Moraine Ridge short cut to Roaring River

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Captain Slappy
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Moraine Ridge short cut to Roaring River

Post by Captain Slappy »

I recall seeing a post on this previously but can't seem to find it now - but is there a reasonable cross-country short cut to Roaring River and Cloud Canyon on the descent down from Avalanche Pass. I've highlighted the general concept in the picture below. This looks like it could save at least a couple of miles.I have medium level route finding and cross country abilities, but nothing expert.

BandedGlossoma
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Moraine Ridge short cut to Roaring River

Post by BandedGlossoma »

A short cut here may not be worth the effort. The trail here is mostly all down hill. Yes it's further but the effort of route finding over a steep moraine probably won't save you any time nor energy, I suspect the open area is choked with manzanita
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Re: Moraine Ridge short cut to Roaring River

Post by Wandering Daisy »

I bailed out in a snow storm down Moraine Ridge (just to the northeast) from Brewer Basin a few years ago. It is nasty-nasty-nasty! I ended up on that route due to getting disoriented in the storm (very difficult navigation- cannot see anything to get your bearings). Your proposed route across the main drainage may not even be possible. I also went up the same south facing slope from Cement Table Meadow (farther upstream) and it was similarly steep and nasty. In addition to thick brush the steep slope is sandy with poor footing. Just go down the trail- it is easy and fast.