End of May Emigrant wilderness circuit

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
mschnaidt
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: End of May Emigrant wilderness circuit

Post by mschnaidt »

BTW do you know why its called Louse canyon? - I can only guess :).

This would allow us to stay on the north side of the east fork all the way to huckleberry. Do you think that is a reasonable option? Would it be better to take this north fork route that you sent and try to cross it higher? At least on the map it looks like the north fork widens out a bit and has some meadows where it joins the east fork.
- I don't have fond memories of the trail between Lord Meadow and Huckleberry. It stays away from the creek for most of the hike. I'm sure you could do it with a little off trail detouring. On Google Earth it looks like there is a section where the creek runs at the base of a cliff shortly after leaving LM. You would have to get around that. Lord Meadow was rough going and unspectacular. I have no desire to return to it.

Personally I would drop down from Yellowhammer and follow the North Fork up to Cow Meadow looking for a crossing along the way. It's off trail and relatively easy going. When I did it there were cairns to lead us around any difficult sections. There are lots of beautiful falls and pools to check out. Also, if the water is too high to cross you can stay North of the creek and not be forced into a crossing. If you take the East fork to Huckleberry that will force you to cross the North fork when you return. There is still a fair amount of snow in the upper sections of that watershed. The creek might be dangerous to cross or uncrossable. Options are good to have...
SSSdave
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Post by SSSdave »

Lord Meadow that has never been a meadow, June 15, 2017, downsized crop from a larger 10400x5900 pixel stitch blend image:

(mouse select to enlarge)
QY09367-76-cr1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
shanks59
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by shanks59 »

Hey all,

My cousin, brother, and I had a great time out in the emigrant from May 23-30. We mostly walked on untrodden trails and saw no one for 6 days. Thanks a bunch for all the advice. Everything went very well and the weather stayed a perfect-for-hiking 60-70 degrees until Saturday when we got stormed/hailed on for a few hours. I'm trying to figure out how to post a TR and hope to have that up soon.
IMG_0220.JPG
This is a pic of my brother and I at Emigrant. Just testing to see if this will work.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.