Taboose Pass with Bears, 4/27 - 4/30

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
gary c.
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Re: Taboose Pass with Bears, 4/27 - 4/30

Post by gary c. »

Great pictures! Still looks pretty cold up there.
"On this proud and beautiful mountain we have lived hours of fraternal, warm and exalting nobility. Here for a few days we have ceased to be slaves and have really been men. It is hard to return to servitude."
-- Lionel Terray
LincolnB
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by LincolnB »

Great pics! Nice to see the high passes opening up.

I've tried various booties for Shasta, no luck. Next up: Leggings. Don't laugh -
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07J5 ... UTF8&psc=1
Harlen
Topix Addict

Post by Harlen »

WanderingDaisy wrote:
PS, I think I would have put the dog poop in a "cat hole" once on FS land.
I did. Thanks for the comments.
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

LOL DOG poop in a CAT hole!
jmherrell
Topix Acquainted

Post by jmherrell »

One of the few close encounters I have had with a bear was on this trail. I headed around a sharp bend through the deep narrow trench of water birch and about 10’ away was a bear facing me. It disappeared into the dense brush without a trace (magic).
CAMERONM
Topix Expert

Post by CAMERONM »

Excellent, thanks.
robertseeburger
Topix Expert

Post by robertseeburger »

I really enjoyed this post.. great to see shots of Arrow peak at this time of year.
It sure looks like an early season this year..
michaelzim
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by michaelzim »

Like I said "Olympian"! I also see you have a pretty hairy face :nod: that would help with the intense sun exposure. In evenings my face was radiating heat even though had smeared on gobs of sunscreen. Good to see Taboose further up than the view I got a few days ago and definitely more snow on the west side over the hump than I was seeing on the east side. Higher too of course. I also noticed your "somewhat rocky trail" in the photos, which I suspect would be attention getting for the feet, especially on the way down.

Great report and photos! ~ Michaelzim
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

Jealous of your outing. one pic labeled sunrise sure looked like it was coming from the west behind Arrow Peak?
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
SSSdave
Topix Addict

Post by SSSdave »

Thanks for sharing your uncommon early season snow adventure.

I did entertain possibly making a sagebrush zone trip in that region over the last few weeks however the Owens has been very droughty this last year so it would not have optimal upper sagebrush zone wildflowers. More serious is the early August trip I've had planned out for over a decade but never got to. The long drive has much to do with that and now I've already taken care of its twin over Shepherd Pass in 2019. Taboose won't happen this summer but will be queued again for summer 2022. Your photos do add some interesting inputs.

First day starting late afternoon shade in the high desert zone at the 5440 foot trailhead just go 2.3 miles to 7070 up 1630 feet at a trail/streamside spot I've spied on Google Earth. Carrying likely 45% body weight for 10 day trip. Next day from dawn, 3.3 miles up 3030 feet to 10100 below the Cardinal Mtn east ridge gnarly zone with 2 longer snack and nap breaks during the route. I find much fascination in all higher east side canyons especially the geology that are often ancient roof pendants and plant life. Third morning is just 1.3 miles up 1310 to the pass so ought be at the top mid morning when light west is still good. That spot you climbed to at 12k viewing Upper Basin is a viewpoint marked on my map too. Would wander that way on my third day enroute per below. Will end up later at 3.9 miles for the day camping atop the sandy entrance terminal moraine of the North Pinchot Pass Basin I expect to see lupine on.