Quick Trip/Conditions report: Mammoth -> Rohn Pass then back and Minaret Lakes.

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
commonloon
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Quick Trip/Conditions report: Mammoth -> Rohn Pass then back and Minaret Lakes.

Post by commonloon »

I was going to put this in the Conditions section, but it's kind of a short trip report as well. Feel free to move admins if you see fit.

This was a rather circuitous route as I was attempting to meet along the PCT a couple of friends who were hiking Nobo (never saw them).

Photos here: https://photos.app.goo.gl/KxjrQ5MhWK8RH4ng6

6/26: Horseshoe lake (Mammoth Pass/Red Cones trailhead) to Mono Creek via JMT/PCT. Immediately hit snow in the trees, top of Mammoth pass was 100%. It was consolidated with a nice crust (early am), travel was easy, navigation mildly challenging. Mostly easy day. PCT/JMT west side of the Mammoth Crest is off and on snow. Virginia lakes had huge sun cups and I had to get wet between the lakes as the ice was melting. Silver Pass Creek (waterfall) crossing was sketchy as it was late afternoon. I would highly recommend doing this in the AM! There was a log for the N.Fork of Mono Creek crossing - easy and fairly safe. I had hope to meet up with my friends today, somehow missed them even though they were on the route today!

6/27: Mono Creek North Fork drainage -> Mott Lake -> Rohn Pass -> JMT/PCT back to near Crater Meadows. The N.Fork drainage is beautiful! I crossed the creek near the trail crossing on a log. End of it was wet and required a lot of care. I'd guess late in the day the creek was submerging the portion that was wet. 3 or 4 avalanche debris fields, looked like from this year; however, no danger to me because it was all dry above (south facing). I made a bad navigational choice around Big Horn Lake (took west side of lake). This required a moderately steep snow traverse with crampons and ice ax, and some class 2-3 down climbing. I should have read the X-country pass info on this more carefully. Recommend East side of lake! Rohn Pass had steep (almost a cornice) on the west side, east side was steep but doable. I used ice ax and crampons here also. Note: in hindsight from bottom of pass, Shout of Relief pass had rock. Fun but suncupped snow travel down the drainage. I cross the creeks near where the met. I would have been safer to cross farther upstream because of the high flow. On return Virigina lakes was again sun cup hell! Slushy this time, so stepping on tops of sun cups caused them to collapse. Getting up early was a wise choice.

6/28: JMT/PCT -> Minaret Lakes trail -> camped near 9000ft. Very easy thru Red's Meadow (bottom of canyon) as it was free of snow. I turned/sprained my ankle this day, in some mud (not snow!), while getting water. I took an easy shorten day thereafter and made camp.

6/29: Minaret Lakes trail -> Deadhorse Lake -> attempted Pridham -> back to Red Cones trailhead. I had intended to summit Pridham and travel North to the Banner area today. But after getting up nearly to the Pridham-Riegelhuth Notch, my ankle was bugging me, the snow was softening and I felt that was sort of 2 strikes against me and decided to turn around. The hike out was easy if slower.

Conditions in short: No real bugs, expect snow about 9-10K or in trees or N. facing, etc. Only hikers I saw were PCT or JMT hikers. It is BEAUTIFUL out there. Be careful crossing streams! Sunscreen!

Mott Lake:
foobar.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.