dogs

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
neil d
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Re: dogs

Post by neil d »

Very interesting thread! Good luck bobby49 with your new companion! Put in the time and it will be rewarding.

I have two labs, one raised from a pup and one a rescue. They are great for the outdoors, and i always thought I would want to backpack with one or both, but it is a lot of work! Packing food and supplies, being mindful of the land mines, monitoring dog activity and interactions with others, not to mention labs ruining the fishing...

I am always impressed when I see a well-behaved dog having fun in the mountains, but I suppose I am much too selfish about my backpacking time to add all the dog-related chores. They frequently come along on day trips.
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by rlown »

It's raining profusely in the North bay area. So, I donned my raincoat, strapped on Simba's pack and we went for a walk down the road.
Wet weather work is great to see how they respond. He did well.
TahoeJeff
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by TahoeJeff »

neil d wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 5:30 pm not to mention labs ruining the fishing...
Yes, my black and yellow labs are, like just about all labs are, auqaphiles.
I gave up on trying to keep them out of the water.
When its fishing time they are kept back at camp for the duration...
"A society that puts equality before freedom will get neither. A society that puts freedom before equality will get a high degree of both."

Milton Friedman
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

Hey Jeff, what vacuum do you use? I just bought a "Pet Eraser" Bissell as my yellow lab shedds beyond belief. He rides with me in the truck and it's like a snowstorm when he shakes. There must be half an inch of fur in the truck. After it stops raining, I'll do the truck, but I did my office and the fur filled the container almost immediately.
bobby49
Topix Fanatic

Post by bobby49 »

Can't you harvest that dog fur and use it for a dog sleeping bag stuffing?
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

It would still stink. Besides he has his quilt.
TahoeJeff
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by TahoeJeff »

My dogs don't shed that bad. But when they do it's a lose/lose proposition as you get black hair and yellow hair.
We have a utility room off the back of our house where they sleep, so no dog hair in the house really.
And they go in the back of my truck with a fiberglass shell, so no dog hair in the truck either.
The back of my wife's Subaru wagon is a complete dog hair fest though....
"A society that puts equality before freedom will get neither. A society that puts freedom before equality will get a high degree of both."

Milton Friedman
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

Decided after the next storm in Sonoma, Simba and I will head to Mt. St. Helena. Probably Sunday. Time to see what he can do. He will have a pack, his treats, some of our water as the native water doesn't look drinkable. RLS park up to the top.

Still waiting on a pic of your dog Bobby.
bobby49
Topix Fanatic

Post by bobby49 »

rlown wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 4:11 pm Still waiting on a pic of your dog Bobby.
Yes, I am still waiting on the dog.
Shhsgirl
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by Shhsgirl »

When I was a teenager, we always took our two small dogs. Since then, I've had children and grandchildren instead of dogs.

One thing. Please either bury your dog's feces or carry them out. I've stopped staying overnight in Desolation because of all the young couples who bring their " starter child" (the dog) with them. Some stream crossings there really smell like dog poop. Not to mention the health hazard.