Backcountry Privy Sites?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
franklin411
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Backcountry Privy Sites?

Post by franklin411 »

Hello all,
I'm so-so with backpacking (I'd prefer to car camp and dayhike up to 20 mi/dy), but I recently met someone who really enjoys it. One thing I really dislike about backpacking is pooping like an animal in the wilderness, so I was wondering if anyone had (or more likely, we could make) a list of backcountry privy sites.

I know or have heard that there are privys at:

SEKI:
Twin Lakes on the Twin Lakes Trail
Pear/Emerald Lakes on the Lakes Trail
Hamilton Lakes on the High Sierra Trail
Bearpaw Meadow on the High Sierra Trail

Others?
longri
Topix Fanatic

Re: Backcountry Privy Sites?

Post by longri »

There's one at the top of Nevada Fall in Yosemite. It's pretty nice. I know someone who slept in it. Little Yosemite Valley has toilets. And I believe all of the High Sierra camps in Yosemite have toilets of some sort. Crabtree Meadow has a toilet. There's one near the big suspension bridge on Woods Creek near the JMT.

You could carry one too. Your bear canister could act as the base. Add a collection bag, a seat, and one of those shower/toilet tents and voila!
AlmostThere
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by AlmostThere »

You could also start googling creatively. This is not surprisingly a big deal for some people and there are a lot of variations on this theme. I've seen some basic strap based seats.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/524759978/ ... -toilet-by

It's going to restrict you a lot to find privies, there really aren't many of them.

BTW, I don't poop like an animal. People have been squatting without toilet seats for centuries.
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

Jeze, I'd rather poop in a hole I've dug than some of the privets I've encountered!
Last edited by oldranger on Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

oldranger wrote:Jezebel, I'd rather poop in a hole I've dug than some of the privets I've encountered!
I've actually plugged my nose and walked away from one in the Los Padres, and dug a hole... some of them are truly foul beyond words.
longri
Topix Fanatic

Post by longri »

AlmostThere wrote:People have been squatting without toilet seats for centuries.
It's the most common position in the world today, I reckon:

I actually prefer the position. It's more in tune with human anatomy. But some people have issues with their knees. And the hole digging part isn't that much fun.

It also isn't conducive to reading.

But the views are usually better (not always) as compared to a privy.
robow8
Topix Regular

Post by robow8 »

Up at the top of Vernal Fall is one. There is one at Middle Paradise Valley in Kings Canyon.
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

The one at Hamilton has its back to the trail leading up to it, so you're mooning intrusive hopefuls who didn't see you go up there. It's in a nice little spot tho, and last time I was there, a pika was sitting under the boards watching me for the duration....

An emergency poncho for privacy and toilet paper are yours to bring... the most remote have no walls.
Scouter9
Topix Regular

Post by Scouter9 »

One of my Scouts held it for 7 days, past our famous Red Beans & Rice dinner on night 5, so there is that option. :)

"Winner of The Golden Cork"...
longri
Topix Fanatic

Post by longri »

Scouter9 wrote:One of my Scouts held it for 7 days, past our famous Red Beans & Rice dinner on night 5, so there is that option. :)

"Winner of The Golden Cork"...
Or just give yourself a big enema right before hiking in. :-)