Backpacking / Relationships

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Backpacking / Relationships

Post by maverick »

Did you meet your current or a previous wife/husband or girlfriend/boyfriend on the trail? Of yes. when and where? Or maybe you developed a long lasting friendships on the trail? Has your hiking/backpacking experiences together make your relationship stronger/better? If yes, in what way? If you have made friends on the trail, how often do you girls or guys go out in the backcountry together a year?
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Tom_H
Topix Expert

Re: Backpacking / Relationships

Post by Tom_H »

We had a number of people who married after meeting each other on our trips. My wife and I went hiking for our first date, climbing Mt. Wittenberg in Pt. Reyes.
markskor
Founding Member - RIP

Post by markskor »

Mav,
A bit too Dr. Phil-ish...A little TMI.
Enjoy most of your ersatz inquiry posts, but...
mark
Mountainman who swims with trout
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

A bit too Dr. Phil-ish...A little TMI.
:unibrow:

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by Jimr »

You know my story. So do a dozen or so others on this forum.
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

My wife can't/won't backpack and okay with that. Mav, maybe you can tell your story?
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

My wife can't/won't backpack and okay with that. Mav, maybe you can tell your story?
Same as you Rlown, wifey no packy.

Oleander and Jimr have become wonderful friends, whom I get to backpack at least once a year, maybe twice this year, and are great additions to my life. :nod:

Larry Conn, OR, Sparky,VC, and yourself, are folks I have backpacked with at least once and kept in touch with, but do hope I will be able to backpack with again in the future. :thumbsup:

There are folks who I have tried to hook up with in the past, but either work or life got in the way. Hope to meet some more wonderful folks at the Meetup this year again! :)

Backpacking with friends who have a similar passion for the Sierra, makes us all have a very important thing in common, which also makes are relationship that much tighter.

Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by Jimr »

Luv ya too brother.
I've met a hand full of our members on Mav's meetups and searches. Several have become friends and are an important part of my life. Some in the Bay area (SFO) and some in the South Bay. We hope to meet up with a few in the spring. Somewhere where the surf meets the snerf.
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.
balzaccom
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Post by balzaccom »

Backpacking played no role in the start of my marriage, although our first overnight trip was to camp in Kings Canyon over Memorial Day about 45 years ago.

We continued to camp throughout our marriage and while raising kids, but never backpacked--odd because we had both backpacked before we met.

Once the kids were gone away to school we realized we could do it without complaining teenagers...and have never stopped since. It's the best quality time we get as a couple.
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
oldhikerQ
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by oldhikerQ »

Did not meet the missus backpacking. We did try it together exactly three times, but each trip was a worse experience for her than the previous one. We both decided that we would be happier if I backpacked and she didn't. Been that way for over 40 years. She does enjoy the mountains, and we try to spend a week in Yosemite every spring.
The wife initiated a camping trip 2 years ago to introduce the grand kids (2 YO) to the mountains in Yosemite Valley. They (the grand kids) both had a blast and still talk about it occasionally. Guess that it's never to soon to introduce kids to the mountains.
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I — I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.
Robert Frost