Guthook App And Elizabeth Wenk book. Do i need both ?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
cakeday
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Guthook App And Elizabeth Wenk book. Do i need both ?

Post by cakeday »

I just got the Guthook app for JMT and I also have the Tom Harrison topo maps for JMT.
Along with that I am considering taking the Elizabeth Wenk (especially, for campsite information and junctions info)..

I have been exploring the Guthook map for about a week now and it seems pretty cool with up to date information about streams, campsites, junctions and more.

So, as of this morning – I am considering not taking the Elizabeth Went book to save on weight. I have already sent pages in my MTR resupply which will cover the area after MTR (so, i will still have to choice to carry those with me once I pick up my resupply at MTR).

So the question for you experts is, guthook and Elizabeth wenk – is it redundant and can I leave the Elizabeth wenk book behind ?

Thank you.
DiamondEyedJack
Topix Acquainted

Re: Guthook App And Elizabeth Wenk book. Do i need both ?

Post by DiamondEyedJack »

I usually leave my phone in the car and just bring my garmin GPS loaded with trails that I download, along with some actual laminated maps and a decent compass, as well as a few photocopied pages from Lizzy's excellent book. Also bring a pencil stub to keep notes. I don't know if guthook has interesting tidbits of information about ivesia muirii and trimlines and JMT history, etc, like her book does.

One of the many nice things about her very detailed JMT book are the peak guides, the views from various passes are annotated so you can easily identify the various peaks on the horizon. One can also do that with a map and compass, which is one reason I bring those items. However, the phone app might not be very useful in that regard since it probably doesn't help you with the magnetic north declination adjustment, and having to zoom out/pan might not be very accurate on a screen.

Her book also has several of the side trips and lateral trails, does guthook have that?

If you don't care about any of that stuff then you probably wouldn't be bringing her book anyway and could make do with guthook.
Last edited by DiamondEyedJack on Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Krazy Kat peeking through a lace bandana, like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed jack
Lumbergh21
Topix Expert

Re: Guthook App And Elizabeth Wenk book. Do i need both ?

Post by Lumbergh21 »

In my opinion you don't need either, but if you already paid for them, it's up to you. I imagine that Wenk's book will provide you with interesting tidbits about the sites along the trail. For me that adds little if any value, but that's why I didn't buy her book. I guess what I'm saying is that I wouldn't carry the added weight of her book, but it's a personal decision. Personally, I used the free Half Mile App and the free Half Mile maps for Section H of the PCT, which includes all of the JMT, when I hiked the JMT. Maybe that makes me cheap, but it had everything I needed: established campsites, water sources, major trails to bail out on if needed, elevations, distances between all noted points, etc. all overlayed on Nat Geo Topo maps.