In Mammoth and needing a last-minute "Plan B"

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: In Mammoth and needing a last-minute "Plan B"

Post by maverick »

Just stick with your original plan then. :)
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Ska-T
Topix Regular

Post by Ska-T »

My son, who lives at sea level, is susceptible to altitude sickness. We've found out that he can go up to about 7,500 ft the first night. The second day he can go up to about 9,000 ft. On the third day he is fine for about 10,000 to 11,000. After that anywhere in the Sierra is OK.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

What Ska-T said.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Post by Wandering Daisy »

The problem with Sabrina Basin is that it is a hardy uphill the first day to get to a place to camp at Blue Lake. That is a tough hike for a 10-year old kid, expecially if sensitive to altitude. Getting out of breath is a forumla for altitude sickness. If you go, you will have to pace her VERY slowly and avoid her ever getting out of breath.

The best backpack area for kids is Rock Creek, because there are lots of lakes that are easy to get to the first day. The altitude is high but very little uphill work.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

So, where did you end up going Mangomegan?
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
mangomegan
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Post by mangomegan »

We ended up doing the Sabrina Basin after all, just with a slight variation. Instead of spending the first night at Blue Lake, we decided to sleep a bit lower to make sure our daughter was feeling ok. We found a great site at the end of Lake Sabrina, partway up the climb to Blue Lake (at about 9800'). She felt fine, so we were comfortable climbing higher the next day. Ended up at Dingleberry for nights two and three (dayhiked to Hungry Packer), and Blue Lake for night four (and then out.)

It was a truly epic trip--the best we've had with the kids! I will write up a TR with photos soon...