Lake Reflection?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
cloudlesssky
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Lake Reflection?

Post by cloudlesssky »

I'm looking for the sage advice I often see here.

My current thinking is a trip over Kearsarge Pass to Lake Reflection and back out this weekend. I'm curious about thoughts on Bubbs Creek crossing at Junction Meadow and what I might find in terms of snow conditions in the deep East Creek drainage.

I'm also curious what Wandering Daisy finds at Pioneer Basin this week.
Mike M.
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Lake Reflection?

Post by Mike M. »

My best guess is that you will find high water and a very difficult crossing this early in the (very wet) year. If you do go, and you find the water too high to cross, you might consider going up Bubb's Creek and into Center Basin (no dangerous stream crossings) or leaving the Muir Trail near the Center Basin junction and following Bubb's Creek to its headwaters in the beautiful basin below Mt. Stanford and the King's-Kern Divide.

Mike
cgundersen
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Post by cgundersen »

Hi cloudlesssky,
I'm guessing you'll need a jet pack to get across. About a decade ago, in a much lower snow year, my wife and I backed off a late June crossing of Bubbs Creek at Junction Meadow (it was about chest high) and finally got across on a log at the lower end of Vidette meadow and bushwhacked on the south side back down to the trail. In the end, I think it's worth whatever effort is needed to get into that area, as you'll have it mostly to yourself, but it won't be easy. And, bring plenty of bug juice!
cameron
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

As posted on an earlier thread:

SEKI NP:
7/7 - Charlotte creek crossing should be crossed at Bubbs only in the morning, water is running very high/swift in the afternoon. The water crossings in between Junction Meadow and East Lake are currently impassable.
If you still decide to take a look, head west from the normal trail crossing, several hundred yards, there is a section where the water is usually much shallower, but it will still be fast and strong this year and still needs to be done early morning, if doable at all.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org