Yosemite Bear Crossing

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Lumbergh21
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: Yosemite Bear Crossing

Post by Lumbergh21 »

kpeter wrote:
Jimr wrote:Maybe that full grown adult bear took the ride before and knows now that bridges are a good thing? Maybe an adolescent bear didn't yet have the life experience for judging these conditions. Never seen them before? We have had a 4 year drought. Just a thought. I just don't want to posit that the fact hikers were on the bridge forced the young bear to swim a river. They swim rivers all of the time. Maybe the young bear just experienced a life lesson to draw upon for the future?
Funny thing was that when I was there, that bear was hanging out near or on the bridge, and I had to sit and wait half an hour for him to move so I felt I could cross the bridge without getting too close to him. Fortunately for me I did not get impatient and swim for it :)
Lol
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Yosemite Bear Crossing

Post by Jimr »

kpeter wrote:
Jimr wrote:Maybe that full grown adult bear took the ride before and knows now that bridges are a good thing? Maybe an adolescent bear didn't yet have the life experience for judging these conditions. Never seen them before? We have had a 4 year drought. Just a thought. I just don't want to posit that the fact hikers were on the bridge forced the young bear to swim a river. They swim rivers all of the time. Maybe the young bear just experienced a life lesson to draw upon for the future?
Funny thing was that when I was there, that bear was hanging out near or on the bridge, and I had to sit and wait half an hour for him to move so I felt I could cross the bridge without getting too close to him. Fortunately for me I did not get impatient and swim for it :)
Lol, That's because you're not wet behind the ears. Neither is that bruin in your pic, from the looks of him. He knows who rules these woods.
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.