Tehepite valley

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
TehipiteTom
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Tehepite valley

Post by TehipiteTom »

AlmostThere wrote:No massive rattlesnakes everywhere? Wow, that was a good trip.
Been there twice and never saw a rattlesnake, though I know that's unusual. On the other hand, a couple years ago I did a dayhike up Bubbs Creek and saw five of them (though fortunately I only startled two).
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Jimr »

I spent 5 days there and didn't see any rattlers, but I did see 4 bears and almost stepped on a beehive.
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.
fourputt
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Post by fourputt »

We saw more than 2 rattlers a day on a 4-day stay in the Valley during a heat spell in late June. Lots of raptor activity might explain the very dark coloring they all have so I avoided stepping on Sugar Pine deadfall while walking. I've caught fish with large talon gashes and once found a recently deceased Northern Goshawk on the trail near Blue Canyon Falls.

On the trail back to Wishon I couldn't stop watching for them even tho chances of encounters were more normal.