Hetch Hetchy to YV via White Wolf

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
sgenise
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Hetch Hetchy to YV via White Wolf

Post by sgenise »

Looking into doing Hetch Hetchy to Yosemite Valley via White Wolf in a couple weeks, but I have a couple questions.

1) Is there much to see on this route? Is it worth it, or should I look for another 3-4 day trip?

2) What is the snow line in Yosemite right now? I have mountaineering experience and so I'm not worried about hiking in snow, but would like to pack appropriately vis a vis gaiters and microspikes

3) Are there any significant stream crossings?

Thanks so much!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Hetch Hetchy to YV via White Wolf

Post by maverick »

1) Is there much to see on this route? Is it worth it, or should I look for another 3-4 day trip?
Don't think it is worth the effort, except for once you get to the rim.
2) What is the snow line in Yosemite right now?
12-15 feet at 9900 ft
3) Are there any significant stream crossings?
Yosemite Creek at around 7200 ft.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
AlmostThere
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Hetch Hetchy to YV via White Wolf

Post by AlmostThere »

There's a few feet of snow here and there at those elevations, per the USFS satellite imaging of the snow depth. Might be substantial coverage in areas as it's a forested route and shade preserves the snow as you know.

What's going to be really scenic is the descent into Yosemite Valley. The creeks are all running at a high, none are known for dangerous crossings but that's a difficult call to make while the snow's melting and there are creeks without names cropping up where no creek has been before. You'll cross the Middle Tuolumne and Yosemite Creek, others if you are taking a longer route over to Snow Creek.

Mosquitos will be really nutso...

I wouldn't call it worth spending the time. I'd rather go somewhere less forested myself.