TR: Little Kern River via Jerkey Meadow Trailhead June 3-4

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
B.Kruger
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

TR: Little Kern River via Jerkey Meadow Trailhead June 3-4

Post by B.Kruger »

This is more of a mini-trip report, as it was by far the greatest number of hours I’ve driven (6) for the least amount of trail-miles-to-destination (also 6 :/ ), but I wanted a mellow shakedown trip to see how my new four-legged family member handled the road trip/trail time/tent sleeping combo. My preferred (read: closer to Vegas) options were still snowed in, so off to the southern edge we went.

We left Vegas at 5am Saturday morning, and made our way to Kernville to grab an overnight permit at the Ranger Station. From there we made the windy, slow drive up to the Jerkey Meadow Trailhead, arriving at about noon. By the time we hit the trail at 12:30 my car showed 84F. Not ideal. The first 3 miles of trail is consistently uphill and rather sunny, but does pass through a number of awesome sequoia stands that provide some shade. We were also lucky to come across multiple little runoff streams on the way up that I imagine won’t be there all season and probably aren’t usually there.
rsz_20170603_125114.jpg
rsz_20170603_133957.jpg
We took our time so the dog could cool off in the water as much as he wanted, and eventually crested the ridge and intersected with the trail heading east through Jerkey Meadow and toward the little Kern. The hike along the ridgeline is lovely, with views of taller peaks to the north (still lots of snow) and a spring-sourced stream throughout the meadow (again, not sure how reliable that is in drier years). We followed the right-most decent option to get from the ridgeline down to the Little Kern gorge. This seems like the steeper option, but it followed the Jug Spring stream most of the way which made for a happy pup.
rsz_20170603_141650.jpg
rsz_20170604_083838.jpg

We found the Little Kern to be not-so-little once down into the river valley, and we could hear it long before we could see it. The bridge spanning it, however, was still well above the water level and fine to cross. We found a nice, well used campsite just across the bridge and made camp there. The pup still had loads of energy and I considered continuing on to Trout Meadows, but he’s also got an inexplicable fear of unfamiliar inanimate objects (grocery bags, boxes, bowls, you name it) so I thought some time relaxing at camp with all the new ‘things’ would be good for him. He never quite came to accept that the tent wasn’t terrifying from the outside, but once coaxed inside he found it a rather nice place to sleep.
rsz_20170603_152316.jpg
rsz_20170603_182849.jpg
rsz_120170603_182633.jpg
rsz_20170603_183925.jpg
rsz_20170603_184434.jpg
rsz_20170604_054017.jpg

In the morning we packed up and got on the trail by 7:30 to try and beat the heat. The climb back up to the ridgeline went quick in the cooler temps, as did the descent back to the trailhead. We were driving back toward Kernville by 10:00. All-in-all I found the region to be a quite nice, and longer treks to the Kern or Little Kern Lake, etc., are probably great early season trips that I’ll consider in the future. Also, if you're in the area with your dog, the Kern River Brewery gets three thumbs up for having nice food, nice beer, and a nice dog-friendly patio.
rsz_20170604_082419.jpg
rsz_20170604_113304.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Re: TR: Little Kern River via Jerkey Meadow Trailhead June 3

Post by maverick »

Thanks for the TR and wonderful pictures, really like the one with Jin gone deep into doggy dreams. :)
What was Jin's post trip meal?
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
B.Kruger
Topix Acquainted

Post by B.Kruger »

maverick wrote:Thanks for the TR and wonderful pictures, really like the one with Jin gone deep into doggy dreams. :)
What was Jin's post trip meal?
He got his very own plain burger patty! Spoiled boy :)
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

He got his very own plain burger patty! Spoiled boy :)
:) :thumbsup:

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
cslaght
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by cslaght »

I must second the KRBC, they make some good stuff, a perfect way to end! Thanks for the TR!
"The mountains are calling, but can't find my phone"

Charles
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

A very nice report.. And why do dogs always sleep with their heads the other way from ours.. :retard:
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

And why do dogs always sleep with their heads the other way from ours.. :retard:
Maybe bad human breath. :lol:

rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

My dog is 15.5 years old.. I get the other end and it's bad.. Plus, he's become incontinent. Won't be long now. :(