mid-may west-side 3-day backpacking loop?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
tones
Topix Newbie
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Re: mid-may west-side 3-day backpacking loop?

Post by tones »

I hiked the Yosemite north rim a couple years ago and it was amazing — started at Yosemite Creek, spent a few nights on the rim, then exited at Olmstead Point. Daisy, maybe I'll try one of the other variations you're suggesting here.

Zacjust, I've got a permit for the full Rae Lakes loop in September, so unfortunately I think hiking Paradise Valley this month would be redundant.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

I am surprised that there is no quota on the Woods Creek trail. Is that because it is before Memorial Day? Or is that year-round?

SEKI NP:
Getting Permits Outside the Quota Period

September 24, 2016 to May 26, 2017

Wilderness permits are free, self-issued, and are not limited to daily entry quotas during this time period. The information you provide on your self-issued permit may be helpful in a search and rescue incident.Self-issue permit stations are available 24 hours a day at the following locations: (permit box is located outside)
https://www.nps.gov/seki/planyourvisit/ ... ermits.htm
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
sparky
Topix Fanatic

Post by sparky »

North Rim is a good early season trip. Eagle Peak, and the Basket Dome/North Dome area is quite scenic.
Spivakian_Trekker
Topix Newbie
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by Spivakian_Trekker »

Hey Tones,

Earlier someone mentioned Hetch Hetchy and I think that would be a good option. There is Rancheria Falls which is about 6 miles out from the reservoir. It is a mostly even hike out and there are a lot of good camping spots. The fishing is good at the creek if you have a fly fishing rod. If you go to TillTill Valley, Lake Vernon, or Pleasant Valley, you would probably want to have snowshoes with you. Another option before the reservoir is the Poopenaut trail which takes you down to a meadow where the Tuolumne flows through. The fishing is great there, but I would imagine the mosquitos being bad right now (or very soon will be). Its only about a mile and a half down to the meadow, but it is a steep trail and the hike out is a pain in the butt. The location is really awesome though. I hope you have fun this weekend!
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

Spivakian_Trekker wrote:Hey Tones,

Earlier someone mentioned Hetch Hetchy and I think that would be a good option. There is Rancheria Falls which is about 6 miles out from the reservoir. It is a mostly even hike out and there are a lot of good camping spots. The fishing is good at the creek if you have a fly fishing rod. If you go to TillTill Valley, Lake Vernon, or Pleasant Valley, you would probably want to have snowshoes with you. Another option before the reservoir is the Poopenaut trail which takes you down to a meadow where the Tuolumne flows through. The fishing is great there, but I would imagine the mosquitos being bad right now (or very soon will be). Its only about a mile and a half down to the meadow, but it is a steep trail and the hike out is a pain in the butt. The location is really awesome though. I hope you have fun this weekend!
I will be at Hetch Hetchy day hiking, but seriously doubt that the bridge will be open at Wapama -- it was closed last weekend and the melt is still very dangerously high. Call to check as previously mentioned before the long drive.
Harlen
Topix Addict

Post by Harlen »

Dear Tones,

I agree on the Yosemite plans of the "Wandering D." Perhaps its because I've lived in the Santa Cruz Mountains for over 20 years, but whenever I have a chance to get some hiking time, I always head for the Sierras.

At the top of the Snow Creek Trail- just to the south a bit- you can find a really nice, cliff-top camping area, which would have dry spots and some firewood for a nice camp with a small fire. The views from there up at Watkins, and down into the valley are fantastic! I've only been there as part of snow shoe and ski tours, so there was never anyone besides my wife and me.

You could make long day trips up Watkins, and out along part of the North Rim Trail from there, or you could hunt around for an old ski hut that's up there somewhere, and dry out each night.

The photos are from a long day trip to frozen Tenaya Lake, and the view of Half Dome from the Snow Creek Trail. Good luck, Harlen.
DSC01509.JPG
DSC01518.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Well, it is May 15. Where did you go? I am heading to Yosemite Wed or Thrusday, after the rains that are going on the next two days.