Looking For Extremely Low Mile Overnighter?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
InsaneBoost
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Looking For Extremely Low Mile Overnighter?

Post by InsaneBoost »

Since I've been planning some trips with the wife this year my mother-in-law has become more and more interested in backpacking. One of her wishes is to do one for her birthday (or sometime around then, July). The main issue is I don't think she'll be able to handle big elevation as she's older and is used to mostly meadow walking. She has done some elevation, but I don't believe it's been much more than 500ft.

Is there anything locally I can find (Fresno)? I've been researching the area above North Fork, along with the Beasore Road area, as I recall there being multiple trail heads up there that seem to be used very little. The issue is I can't really find much except for a few which I don't think she'd be able to handle.

Honestly I don't think she needs anything fancy, but rather just the ability to say "she did it." I think she'd like something that might have a lake or a nice overlook of mountains, or mountains surrounding wherever we setup, but I'm not sure if any of that is possible without doing what might be considered 'major trekking' to her.

The area doesn't have to be near North Fork, but I'd like to find something that isn't heavily used (if possible). I feel we might have to do a trail that goes in two miles and just setup there (the National Forest is still 1-mile in and camping is fine correct?).

Also open to longer hikes that we can setup in the first few miles and have a decent view.

Anything anyone can think of to help me get the 'awesome son-in-law' award would be great :lol:

Appreciate it everyone.

Cliff Notes:

Looking for very short hike with minimal elevation gain
Mountains, Lake or Overlook preferred (not necessary)
Small or smaller crowds preferred
Location close to Fresno
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Re: Looking For Extremely Low Mile Overnighter?

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Rather than limit to very low mileage, what about you carrying more gear and have her just carry a day-pack? That way you could do a bit more mileage. My husband has a heart problem/issue so when we go, I play Sherpa and we move about 3 miles or less a day. It works out well. The weight slows me down to his pace. How do you know she would not do well going uphill? If you slow the pace, she may do fine.

What exactly do you mean by "extreme low mile"?
InsaneBoost
Topix Regular

Post by InsaneBoost »

I could do that definitely.

By extremely low mileage I didn't want someone to think I meant 8 miles was fine, as I could see that being "low" to those who do 30 mile trips. Just looking for a short trip that won't kill her (not literally) and make her hate backpacking. I'd like for her to enjoy the trip and maybe build her up into doing some 'regular' trips where she could view more spectacular areas.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

What may be limiting you is the "close to Fresno" bit. I can think of a lot of really nice 3-4 mile trips on the east side (like Rock Creek). Is something off Tioga Pass to far? There is always the boat ride across Saddlebag Lake and short flat walk into Cascade Lake.

Also, the Pear Lake trip out of Lodgepole, although not all the way to Pear Lake- camp at one of the earlier lakes and then day-hike to Pear Lake. It does involve a bit of uphill.

I would also think that even if August would be not idea because of the "birthday" idea, it would be far better this year. Mid July is going to be peak mosquitoes.
ERIC
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by ERIC »

Wandering Daisy wrote:What may be limiting you is the "close to Fresno" bit.
Nonsense! Have you looked into Dinkey or Kaiser? Several good short hikes at lower elevations in those two wilderness areas. Kaiser in particular is low traffic. Short drive out of Fresno, too.
New members, please consider giving us an intro!
Follow us on Twitter @HighSierraTopix. Use hashtags #SIERRAPHILE #GotSierra? #GotMountains?
Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HighSierraTopix
Npike
Topix Acquainted

Post by Npike »

Check out dinkey lakes. I go car camping up in that area every year and there is a loop where the trailhead starts about 1.5 hours from Fresno, just past shaver lake. Not sure if the trailhead name, but search mystery lake. Getting to the trailhead is a bit rough, need something that can handle a very rough road
InsaneBoost
Topix Regular

Post by InsaneBoost »

ERIC wrote:
Wandering Daisy wrote:What may be limiting you is the "close to Fresno" bit.
Nonsense! Have you looked into Dinkey or Kaiser? Several good short hikes at lower elevations in those two wilderness areas. Kaiser in particular is low traffic. Short drive out of Fresno, too.
That's the issue. I've been looking and I either come up with 20 mile hikes or nothing. Perhaps I just need to do the first few miles of those and that'll be it. As mentioned I'm fine doing something like that, was just curious if anyone knew of anything shorter.

But anything that can give us some decent views within the first few miles would be nice.
InsaneBoost
Topix Regular

Post by InsaneBoost »

Wandering Daisy wrote:What may be limiting you is the "close to Fresno" bit. I can think of a lot of really nice 3-4 mile trips on the east side (like Rock Creek). Is something off Tioga Pass to far? There is always the boat ride across Saddlebag Lake and short flat walk into Cascade Lake.

Also, the Pear Lake trip out of Lodgepole, although not all the way to Pear Lake- camp at one of the earlier lakes and then day-hike to Pear Lake. It does involve a bit of uphill.

I would also think that even if August would be not idea because of the "birthday" idea, it would be far better this year. Mid July is going to be peak mosquitoes.
You can give me some names of areas out there. We do go there a lot, and for a birthday trip it wouldn't be horrible. Can always camp somewhere the night before or just get up super early and get there.

We can definitely go in August. I already know the snow pack and mosquitoes could be an issue.
InsaneBoost
Topix Regular

Post by InsaneBoost »

Npike wrote:Check out dinkey lakes. I go car camping up in that area every year and there is a loop where the trailhead starts about 1.5 hours from Fresno, just past shaver lake. Not sure if the trailhead name, but search mystery lake. Getting to the trailhead is a bit rough, need something that can handle a very rough road
That looks like a really good place to start. Looks relatively flat and has a decent lake with some mountain views. For now this might be the go to trip. It might even be possibly to do the entire Lakes Loop with her. We've camped for a week with her at a time so the woods don't bother her. Thinking a two night trip could easily be done.
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

If you want her to enjoy the trip strongly suggest you postpone the trip to last week in August or week before Labor Day weekend to avoid the worst of mosquitos. They will be terrible in July this year.
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!