PCT

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
richlong8
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: PCT

Post by richlong8 »

Thank you all. I think my perspective is about the same. I really love wandering around the High Sierra, and even have come to not like those times where I am on the JMT for a short time to get somewhere. I had not considered the social aspects, or the walking thru forest for days on end. Those are probably not for me. So, it appears that my instincts are right, that the PCT is probably not for me, esp. after reading marksor's comments. i could see myself dropping out with the feeling, why bother? When I retire, if the body holds up, I look forward to planning a few long trips into the High Sierra a year. Resupply is probably going to be something I look at real hard for some trips. Carrying 6 days of food will be more attractive than carrying 12 days of food and fuel.
paul
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Post by paul »

I too have thought quite a bit about doing the PCT someday. Like you I will almost certainly have to wait until I retire to have the time. I do like the idea of the long adventure, and like some others would not look forward to the miles of forest. Still, I think that it is the kind of experience that is not what it is without encompassing all of that. So I still am uncertain. One thing I have considered is that if I were to do it I would very likely go southbound. Not nearly so many folks go that way, so instead of traveling in the midst of a pack of northbound hikers one would encounter that same pack somewhere in the middle of the trail, and meet new folks every day for a while and then mostly be back to normal trail populations afterward. Plus I'd rather go through the Sierra in the fall than in late May/early June.
One thing I've thought about is the fact that do do the PCT in on trip you are forced to do it on a schedule that doesn't put you in the various areas at the time of year I'd most want to be there. Desert in the spring is great; Sierra in late May not my preference, Washington Cascades in the fall not my top choice either. Doing it in sections you can go where you want when you want. It's a different experience of course to hike it in sections rather than in one go. But different is not necessarily better or worse. Whatever suits your style is the best for you.
Once you retire and have time, maybe you want to do some parts of the trail as a taste test, a few weeks here and a few weeks there - and particularly in portions that you think might not be the best parts. If that still leaves you with a desire to do it, then you'd probably have a good time doing the whole thing. If not, then hey, you took some nice hikes.
Or you can just wander around the Sierra for the rest of your life and if you want I bet you could do it without ever walking on the same trail twice. There's so much out there.
Lumbergh21
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by Lumbergh21 »

I too have thought about attempting to hike the PCT in retirement, but wonder if I want to devote all that time when there are so many other places I would like to explore. In my mind, there are 2 pluses to hiking the PCT. You aren't hiking by yourself. As much as I dislike hiking on a crowded trail, there is an element of safety that it provides. As a solo hiker, that's a plus. Second, you may find some beautiful places you would not have otherwise. You may think a place is boring or uninteresting then discover it has an appeal to you, but you'll never know unless you go.
Last edited by Lumbergh21 on Sat Feb 11, 2017 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

Retired over 8 years. Putting one foot in front of one another where making distance is the most important thing seems to pale in comparison to spending quality time with family in the north Cascades and at their homes and ours, snorkeling and sightseeing in Guam and Hawaii, close to a month in the Sierra over a couple trips , fishing and camping at the local lakes in Central Oregon, a six week road trip to Alaska (including 5 days of flyin salmon fishing), 3 weeks of beach time and fishing in Mexico--all of which are in our plans for 2017. To me a bucket list adventure would be similar to what Rogue does but arrange resupplies so I would never have to go out. In 1980 after "dropping out" I did a three week trip without resupply but started out with a 65 lb pack. I max out a 45lbs now so even with much lighter gear about 14 days is the best I can do.
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
dave54
Founding Member

Post by dave54 »

I want to echo the trail is crowded.

Last July I day hiked a short stretch from the LVNP boundary south to Hwy 36. I passed at least a dozen north bound groups, maybe more, and when I stopped for lunch two southbound groups passed me.

Solitude is not a reason to hike it.

OTOH I have a favorite dispersed camping site for my RV north of LVNP. The site is within a couple dozen yards of the PCT, but a small rise and a copse of trees and brush hide me from sight of the trail. Hundreds must pass by my campsite in the week or so I am camped, but no one seems to know I am there.
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~
Log off and get outdoors!
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Paul. If you are not a purist, you could "flip-flop" sections. Do the desert in spring, Northern Ca and Oregon early summer, Cascades late summer, Sierra the fall. You still do the whole thing in one season. I did the Sierra High Route with a "flip-flop" because it worked out better for transportation and the timing for the middle section fit better for my husband, who joined me. I still consider that I did the route. In 2011, a lot of people left the Sierra for last because of the 200% snowpack. Some "purists" say they really did not do the PCT. But if that is the case, do you also say that those lucky enough to pick a low-snow year also do not "do it" just because they did not have to struggle with the snow and hard creek crossings? "Hike your own hike" still applies to the PCT.

I think you either like to thru-hike or not. No amount of talking is going to convince those who do not like this kind of trip. Has nothing to do with being retired or not. The most important thing is to decide if you are a thru-hiker or not. It is very goal oriented, more like running a marathon. The satisfaction is in finishing, surmounting mental issues. Very much like climbing Everest. Some climbers say it is a waste of time (crowded there too!) but it IS the highest mountain. The PCT IS the PCT. That is enough to make many want to do it. This is not, in my opinion, "bragging rights" as much as accomplishing a goal. This means you do the good, bad, and ugly. It is about accomplishment, not just enjoyment. If you are focused, driven, and yes, a bit competitive, then maybe it is your thing.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Oh. forgot to say. It is a big one-year commitment, for sure. But you will be retired for many years! You can still do all that stuff that Old Ranger does.
richlong8
Topix Expert

Post by richlong8 »

I was rereading Phil Arnot's book on the High Sierra, and was daydreaming about some of the places he describes that I have not yet visited. I think that appeals to me much more. Those lakes on Glacier Ridge. I bet not many spend much time wandering there!
schmalz
Topix Expert

Post by schmalz »

A few thoughts:

- It was probably the most amazing thing I've ever done. Absolutely a life highlight. I want to do it again.

- That said, it might not be the same for you.Plenty of people drop out as they find they don't enjoy the experience.

- Maybe it was because I was on the front end of the pack, but I found plenty of solitude on the trail. The vast majority of the time I felt like I was relatively alone. I'd usually see less than 20 people a day.
http://CaliTrails.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://facebook.com/calitrails" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
SSSdave
Topix Addict

Post by SSSdave »

Wandering Daisy wrote:... No amount of talking is going to convince those who do not like this kind of trip... It is very goal oriented, more like running a marathon (ultimate fun?). The satisfaction is in finishing, surmounting mental issues. Very much like climbing Everest.(even if you don't come down :tear: )
Like CC, probably never climb Whitney or Half Dome, much less hike the JMT or worse the PCT..but whatever gets a person out of bed.

David