Whitney Area Camping and Food Storage

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Lumbergh21
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Whitney Area Camping and Food Storage

Post by Lumbergh21 »

I am planning a 3 week trip for the summer potentially starting at Horseshoe Meadows and going over Cottonwood Pass. I would like to maximize the number of days before I need to resupply (hopefully at MTR), and was wondering if it was within the regulations for me to have food outside my bear canister if I stored it in a bear locker. Along with that, are there bear lockers at Rock Creek? This would allow me to carry 2 extra days of food, day 1 and day 2, in addition to the food in my bear canister.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Whitney Area Camping and Food Storage

Post by maverick »

Along with that, are there bear lockers at Rock Creek?
There are, but they reserved for PCT thru-hikers, everyone else is required to use bear canisters. https://www.nps.gov/seki/planyourvisit/bear_box.htm
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Lumbergh21
Topix Expert

Post by Lumbergh21 »

Thanks, I couldn't find that link. Seems pretty silly given there probably won't be any PCT through hikers there in mid August, and if there were, they would be using a bear canister at that point anyway. I'm the one who needs more carrying capacity because I'm not a PCT through hiker blasting through the next 5 to 6 days to MTR. Guess I'll just have to go with the big heavy pack that I can fit the big bear canister in. 7 days is the most I can fit in the BV 450.
Or, I could hike to Crabtree the first day and say I'm a NOBO JMT hiker if asked. I will be using around 150 miles of the JMT. :D
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Two days food is a tiny package. I would be surprised if you could not get it in a totally full bear storage box. Just do it!
Lumbergh21
Topix Expert

Post by Lumbergh21 »

There's the reply I was looking for.
I'm not worried about whether or not I can do it. I'm worried about whether or not I'll get hit with a $5000 fine and kicked off the trail if I meet a Ranger that first day. Seems the risk is a bit higher staying at an established camp site with a bear box. I mean, given that it seems to be against some nonsensical rule.
AlmostThere
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by AlmostThere »

Well, there is a ranger station at Rock Creek and New Army was where we ran into the ranger. If just do it suits you, so be it.
Since I nearly had a couple scroungy dudes thru hiking the JMT on a poorly planned "uh, didn't think we'd eat that much" adventure rummage through a bear locker and pick up "stuff" I get everything in the ^$&% bear can, do or die, rather than leave it in heavily used lockers. Also that ties you to camping near the lockers - it's much quieter and nicer farther away.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Post by Wandering Daisy »

OK, you put a small package in the bear box. Ranger comes. How do they prove it is your food? I see no way you could get a citation if you just deny the food is yours. The only risk is that they will confiscate the food and you would have to do without.

As far as scumbags stealing your food, I would bet it is more likely that if a thru-hiker were camped there, they would gladly let you put your small package in with theirs.