TR: 4th Recess Late Season Overnighter

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
cloudlesssky
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

TR: 4th Recess Late Season Overnighter

Post by cloudlesssky »

My brother Will and friend Jim invited me along on a late season trip from Mosquito Flats (Rock Creek) over Mono Pass to 4th Recess. I'd never been over Mono Pass and definitely wanted to squeeze in a late season trip before the snow really covered things up. We watched the weather and saw that storms would bracket the upcoming weekend if we could tolerate a little wind. We decided to give it a go.

The hike out of Little Lakes Valley is quite pretty and the breeze was light.
IMG_0554.JPG
Mono Pass is around 12,000' so there's little vegetation. The hike up from the trail head was fairly even. It was very breezy at the summit but not so bad that we couldn't stop for a bit.
IMG_0565.JPG
We stopped at Trail Lakes on the way down from Mono Pass and you could see the wind in the clouds. I knew it was going to be a windy night. The picture doesn't show it, but there was a rainbow in the wispy clouds.
IMG_0588.JPG
A bit further down from Trail Lakes you cross Golden Creek and head down the Mono Creek drainage.
IMG_0593.JPG
After leaving the trail down the Mono Creek drainage, you hike into the "4th Recess". There's a large lake with campsites on the east and west sides. It's quite a beautiful lake with the backdrop of cliffs. We chose a large campsite on east side that was decently shaded from the wind. We had the recess, and as far as we could tell the entire Mono Creek drainage to ourselves.
IMG_0622.JPG
It was a windy night, but our campsite sheltered us from the worst of it. You could hear the gusts in the trees growing as the night went on but the temp didn't drop below the low 30's. We stayed warm in our tents and sleeping bags until we had to get up in the morning.

Reversing our path of the day before I captured some pictures in the morning light. The view down the Mono Drainage was amazing.
IMG_0626.JPG
And the view towards Pioneer Basin will probably encourage me to come back and explore this area more in the future.
IMG_0631.JPG
Climbing back up towards Trail Lakes I took this picture of the outflow looking north-east.
IMG_0632.JPG
As I climbed back towards Mono Pass the wind steadily grew. It was so strong that my pack was acting like a sail. I needed to angle myself to face into the wind and actually lean forward. It was cold too. At the pass Summit Lake had added an appreciable amount of ice and it was collected where the wind could blow it.
IMG_0639.JPG
My brother and Jim exited a couple hours after me. My brother had brought his fishing gear and felt obliged to toss in. He didn't mention any bites after they returned ;)

It snowed again last weekend so now I'm going to wait till it accumulates enough to snowshoe and then head out again. I can't wait.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
balzaccom
Topix Addict

Re: 4th Recess Late Season Overnighter

Post by balzaccom »

Beautiful shot of 4th Recess Lake. Wonderful area. thanks for the report.
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
gary c.
Topix Fanatic

Post by gary c. »

Beautiful pictures, brings back lots of memories. Thanks'
Last edited by gary c. on Wed Nov 02, 2016 3:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
"On this proud and beautiful mountain we have lived hours of fraternal, warm and exalting nobility. Here for a few days we have ceased to be slaves and have really been men. It is hard to return to servitude."
-- Lionel Terray
Flamingo
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Flamingo »

Great photos, and good for you to squeeze out a last trip before the snow. Thanks for posting.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

And the view towards Pioneer Basin will probably encourage me to come back and explore this area more in the future.
Definitely do, it has beautiful lakes, good fishing, and outstanding views. :nod:
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
kpeter
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by kpeter »

What a lovely season to visit. Probably the most famous Sierra area I have never visited. I have to get there.
ChasingRainbows
Topix Acquainted

Post by ChasingRainbows »

what were the dates of this trip? I am headed out to a basin nearby and wondering if the lakes around 10,000 feet will still be ice free (similar elevation to 4th recess)
C-level
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by C-level »

Very nice, just gets me more pumped up for another last trip to area this week, weather permitting, but looks ok. Thanks for sharing
cloudlesssky
Topix Regular

Post by cloudlesssky »

ChasingRainbows wrote:what were the dates of this trip? I am headed out to a basin nearby and wondering if the lakes around 10,000 feet will still be ice free (similar elevation to 4th recess)
29/30 Oct 2016 - a couple weeks ago.