Favorite trailhead

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
TehipiteTom
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Favorite trailhead

Post by TehipiteTom »

Wandering Daisy wrote:I do have a few less liked ones. I am not too fond of driving to Edison or Florence Lake. I really hate that road! I am a timid driver and have been honked at and given the finger many times.
I don't mind that road; I just take it slowly and carefully (and pull out at the first opportunity when there's someone who wants to go faster). For me, the spectacular views make up for a lot of the driving difficulty.

On the other hand, the Dinkey Lakes trailhead is one I will not do again. The condition of the "road" is just too horrible, and there are too many places where anyone with a normal vehicle risks major damage.

ETA:
And I simply do not expect solitude the first few miles. I do a lot out of Yosemite Valley and really get a kick out of the tourists! I can leave the trail anytime to get solitude when I want it.
Well, I'm just a Misanthroupic Basterd. The sooner I can be shut of the loathsome pests called "humans", the better.
Last edited by TehipiteTom on Thu Dec 18, 2014 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

I've been concerned a few times following you that your Fit would fall into a pothole and I wouldn't notice driving over you in my truck (13" of suspension travel and maybe a solid 8" of sustained clearance). :D

I still like TM and North Lake.
DoyleWDonehoo
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

Post by DoyleWDonehoo »

Wandering Daisy wrote:...And I simply do not expect solitude the first few miles. I do a lot out of Yosemite Valley and really get a kick out of the tourists! I can leave the trail anytime to get solitude when I want it.
True. And I don't mind people that much. My PackPard is the one that does not want to see people. That's right, I'm the fun one. ;) It did get a bit tedious the first day in the EW last year when a Boy Scout troop decided to camp and swim just upstream from us. I had to get out our water supply fast. People and Marmots are what spread Geardia (however spelled).
...And I am not that fond of the required shuttle service to Devils Post Pile trailheads. It eats up a lot of time.....
Yes, but very impressive for Noobs.
Doyle W. Donehoo
Sierra Trails:
http://www.doylewdonehoo.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
RichardCullip
Topix Regular

Post by RichardCullip »

I like starting up high from somewhere "relatively" close to San Diego. Mineral King fits the bill (made many hikes out of there back in the '70s) as does Cottonwood Lakes/Horseshoe Meadows (made some hikes out of there the last few years). North Lake up by Bishop is nice too.
Life is good. Eternal Life is better!

Richard
TehipiteTom
Founding Member

Post by TehipiteTom »

rlown wrote:I've been concerned a few times following you that your Fit would fall into a pothole and I wouldn't notice driving over you in my truck (13" of suspension travel and maybe a solid 8" of sustained clearance). :D

I still like TM and North Lake.
Yes, that's why I specified "normal vehicle". People who drive abnormal vehicles like yours might well be perfectly okay.
;)
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

I actually bottomed out on the Quartz mtn trail on the way out. a massive trench in the shade that I didn't see. speed may have been a small factor :retard: (another nice TH)

And thanks. I've always thought of the ol' dodge as somewhat abnormal. :)
sparky
Topix Fanatic

Post by sparky »

I have only used it a couple times, but I really like the lakes trailhead out of wolverton. Solitude in 1/2 a day without a ton of work
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

I have used the Wolverton Trailhead a few times too. I am not quite sure what you mean by the "lakes trailhead". I use the Wolverton Trailhead to get onto the High Sierra Trail via Panther Gap. I calculated the elevation gain and mileage between going in Crescent Meadow or Wolverton, there is not that much difference in effort or time. The only thing about parking at Wolverton is the uphill coming out, but by then my pack is really light.

The trailheads I use the most are not those necessarily the ones I like the best. The southern trailheads on the east side are a days drive for me. As much as I like Horseshoe Meadow, it is just a long ways away. I prefer to be able to get on the trail the same day I drive. It eliminates the fuss of car camping. I like the drive to the east side better than fighting all the large rig truck traffic down Hwy 99. I really feel the drive to the east side is part of the trip itself - very pleasant and scenic. But the Kearsarge trailhead is about as far south as I can go and still get on the trail the same day. You do not have to get that far up the trail from Onion Valley (or is it Onion Meadow?) to find a placed to camp. No one has mentioned Onion Valley - it is a quick way to get into the heart of the mountains too.

One trailhead that I have used twice, and nobody has mentioned, is George Creek. Not exactly a backpacking trailhead. I used it to climb Mt. Williamson and a failed attempt on Mt Carl Heller. I am quite happy that they have lifted the restrictions on it. Once you get up through the lower part, it is really great country - pretty open and spectacular. Great climbs in there.

And another one I have used twice is Tuttle Creek. I love the Ashram. Again this is a climber's trailhead. Used it to climb Lone Pine Peak and Langley.

The oddest trailhead was Armstrong Canyon. You need a 4wd for that one. Again, used it for some climbs. Also no water - so had to melt snow for water.
sparky
Topix Fanatic

Post by sparky »

I should have said the lakes trail....the trail to pear lake.

I have used panther gap to the HST but I started at lodgepole. I found it much nicer than crescent meadow.

Oh yes and onion valley. Another place to quickly get off trail to solitude and great scenery with little effort.
fourputt
Topix Acquainted

Post by fourputt »

Rancheria, Copper Creek, and South Lake for the destination, which should be apparent, above all other factors.