Pack station beta

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
texan
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Re: Pack station beta

Post by texan »

Actually that is a decent price. I have taken a spot trips from another pack station and go in over 20 miles in a day and they pick us up about ten days later and its $1900. We are charged for the guide, two horses and three mules. Did the packer tell you which trailhead he would take in? Please let me know. Thanks.

Texan
wanderin.jack
Topix Acquainted

Pack station beta

Post by wanderin.jack »

Horseshoe Meadows

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Wanderin' Jack
texan
Topix Expert

Post by texan »

Thanks for the info.

Texan
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

I have not used a commercial packer in the Sierra, but have in the Wind River Mountains. Since packers get permits from the Forest Service, some of their regulations may be similar. The following is what I know about commercial packers in Wyoming.

Each packer has an assigned area. Each forest has its own permit. A permit for the Shoshone Forest does not apply to the Bridger Forest. If their pack station is also on FS land, it is permitted. Most of the packers are members of a state-wide packers association which has an up-to-date database.

Packers are paid by the day. Not all packers will go the same distance in a "day". One packer I used would do a 12-mile destination in a day (24 miles total). Most packers will not go that far. If you are on the borderline with regard to one to two days, you may ask around and find a packer who would do it in one day.

Not all packers will do a "drop camp" or resupply. Some only will do guided trips. Generally each packhorse has a limit of about 120-140 pounds that they carry. The packers in Wyoming are required to have the bear-proof panniers and are required to actually meet you at the drop off point- cannot just leave food for you to pick up later. A few packers will add a single person's food supply onto another group's supplies for about half the price as going it alone. So if you are flexible about your trip times, you can get a pretty good deal.

Personally I do not like riding a horse. Since I do not do it regularly, I find that riding a horse in just leaves me sore and stiff for several days. All but once I have walked in, and did not ride the horses. Since the packer has to also ride out, it is not that hard to walk in by leaving early in the AM and meet the packer mid-afternoon. Without a pack, on a trail, I can easily walk in 10-12 miles if I leave at dawn. This saves the cost of a riding horse.

Hope this helps a bit.
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by rlown »

WD, How can this not be fun? To see TehipiteTom and OldRanger on their mounts, with Mike in his traditional horsey pose. Markskor was in front of me on Myron (i think). He needed a bigger ride for some reason or another. (ignore my finger in the pics.. I was otherwise busy)
Pack Trip 2012 020.JPG
Pack Trip 2012 023.JPG
The soreness only lasts for so long after you dismount. We were heavy on that trip to Rutherford, and Mike can tell you the name of that pack station. They were great.

EDIT: Been on or around horses since I was 7. It's just a matter of using other muscles that causes the pain, or a bad saddle, but yes, hours in the saddle will get to you and getting off the mount once in a while is a good thing.

russ
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by rlown on Fri Jan 10, 2014 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
texan
Topix Expert

Post by texan »

I like the pic RLOWN thanks for sharing. I have rode a horse for 30 miles one day believe it or not. Every 5 miles I would get off and stretch a bit to help relieve the pain. On the hand, one of my friends who has never rode a horse came with us and his body was sore the whole time. The big benefit for me taking pack horses is I can bring my float tube and get to places on backcountry lakes where shore fisherman can never get to. Thats means lunkers!!!!

Texan
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Perhaps the size of the horse more appropriately matched the size of all your back sides than mine! As a small person, I find riding a typical horse is painfully mismatched to my back side. I am too old to do the splits!

A good horse packer CAN add a lot of fun to a trip. Successful packers know how to entertain. I have a good friend who is a commercial packer and another who is a fishing guide. Both are successful mainly due to their great report with clients. Each can keep one enchanted for hours with stories and tall tales!
Rockchucker
Topix Expert

Post by Rockchucker »

I sometimes ride a horse during deer season and agree with WD, at least for me it is painful. My poor tail end was so bruised and sore. We put on a lot of miles but I really prefer walking.
I'm no suture for my future.
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

Daisy,

I always ask for a thin horse. Even as a younger stock ranger my hips would get really sore on a stout horse. Too short stirrups can be killer on the knees as is a lot of downhill.

Personally I hate getting off a horse, too hard to get back on when you are less than 5'8" with a 28" inseam. A nice rock or mounting from the uphill side helps a lot. A good mountain horse doesn't care whether you mount from the left or right side.

The older I get the more I appreciate using horses on that first day of a long trip with the heaviest pack of the trip and usually substantial uphill.

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
wanderin.jack
Topix Acquainted

Pack station beta

Post by wanderin.jack »

I talked to the head packer on the inyo and it turns out that the since a recent lawsuit, any licensed packer can work out of any stock legal trail head. My perception that packers where limited to certain zones is outdated info. Still it seems like hiring a porter from a legal outfitter is a better option.

Wanderin' Jack
Wanderin' Jack