fording evolution creek at mcgee canyon "early season"

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
jdogrunner
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

fording evolution creek at mcgee canyon "early season"

Post by jdogrunner »

I'm planning a mid-June walk and wondering if anyone has experience fording at or around confluence of McGee Canyon and Evolution. I know Evolution starts to pool a little above Colby Meadow and I'd like to cross upstream and as close to Evolution Basin as possible (rather than traversing downstream to Colby or McClure). Just wondering if anyone has forded around there (above Colby and above the confluence) in the earlier half of the summer. Thanks!
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Re: fording evolution creek at mcgee canyon "early season"

Post by Wandering Daisy »

I crossed near the confluence of Evolution and McGee Creeks June 20, 2015. Not exactly "early" given that 2015 was a very dry winter. I recall doing a combination of wading and log walking. The crossing downstream on the PCT was only knee-mid thigh deep and easy. We then walked up on the left bank of McGee Creek on a faint use-trail.
jdogrunner
Topix Novice

Post by jdogrunner »

Wandering Daisy wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 11:08 am Not exactly "early" given that 2015 was a very dry winter. I recall doing a combination of wading and log walking. The crossing downstream on the PCT was only knee-mid thigh deep and easy.
Thanks! I figure this June will be similar to 2015!
robertseeburger
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by robertseeburger »

I crossed here in July 2017. 2017 was a very heavy year and I had just crossed via the Muir trail at Evolution. Mclure Meadow wasn't a meadow---it was a swampy lake. I talked to the ranger and asked him where to cross to head up to Mcgee Lakes. He told me to head up to the top of Colby Meadow, a little bit below the confluence you suggest. I did as he suggested. There was a flat slow moving sandy spot there and while it was almost hip deep, it was easy to cross as he suggested. I suspect in mid June this year, there will be less water than mid July 2017, so you should not have a problem. Sounds like you prefer higher, but this goes.