Mapping Sites

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
freestone
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Mapping Sites

Post by freestone »

Caltopo and Sierra Topix are excellent map sites, but Fatmap has some very nice features if you like the Google Earth viewpoint. I think the 2018 meet up is in this area?

https://fatmap.com/around/Red_and_White ... 792,normal
Short cuts make long delays. JRR Tolkien
mrphil
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Mapping Sites

Post by mrphil »

That does have some nice features. Just played with it for about an hour. I would love to see it with better resolution at max zoom, but you can twist and turn the viewing angles and do some serious route analysis. Another arrow in the quiver. Much better than straight Google Earth and it's 2-D, 3-D limitations for a whole new take on topo perspective and terrain features. I'll use the hell out of that...handy dandy. Thanks for posting it.
mrphil
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by mrphil »

Another is Wikimapia.org. Really good resolution on zoom and lots of overlay and annotation features that I've just started to explore. It comes highly recommended by my son who's a geospatial engineer/analyst in the Army ("topo guy"), and it's what they often initially play with in doing their route analysis. It's definitely not as sophisticated as what they have available on a military level, but it's not TS, it's interactive, data is largely updated every couple months as opposed to Google Earth every couple years, and it's what the military intelligence folks consider as probably the best satellite imagery resource available to civilians.
TahoeJeff
Topix Fanatic

Post by TahoeJeff »

What am I doing wrong? When I click on freestone's link, or if I just go to fatmap.com, the site 'stalls out' on a grey page with the fatmap logo.
"A society that puts equality before freedom will get neither. A society that puts freedom before equality will get a high degree of both."

Milton Friedman
freestone
Topix Expert

Post by freestone »

TahoeJeff wrote:What am I doing wrong? When I click on freestone's link, or if I just go to fatmap.com, the site 'stalls out' on a grey page with the fatmap logo.
Not sure, maybe its a browser thing. Try a web search then go in that way.
Short cuts make long delays. JRR Tolkien
TahoeJeff
Topix Fanatic

Post by TahoeJeff »

freestone wrote: maybe its a browser thing
Yep. FATMAP does not like the fact that I'm old school using Internet Explorer. Works good in Chrome.
"A society that puts equality before freedom will get neither. A society that puts freedom before equality will get a high degree of both."

Milton Friedman