DIY Sleeping Bag Liner anyone?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
phonewentwest
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

DIY Sleeping Bag Liner anyone?

Post by phonewentwest »

Wondering if anyone has made their own sleeping bag liner? If yes, any insider tips or suggestions? If no, why not?

My daughter just got a sewing machine. This seems like it could be the perfect project.
"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives."
- Jackie Robinson
shawnterustic
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: DIY Sleeping Bag Liner anyone?

Post by shawnterustic »

I made my own fleece liner for winter trips - if I recall, I just got a pair of small dirt cheap fleece blankets and sewed them up at the bottom and sides - not the most elegant, as I did it by hand, and it's bulky as heck, but it does the trick!
Flamingo
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Flamingo »

Yes I have, and it's a great beginner's sewing project!

Fabric choice. . . In my experience, I feel uncomfortably hot sleeping in polyester and fleece, versus breathable Merino wool or silk. I realize wool and silk can be more expensive, though.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Post by Wandering Daisy »

I would rather "line" myself - it weighs less and can be worn hiking, if needed. I simply take the thin long johns and short sleeve shirt. I have nice thin merino wool set, micro-fleece set and Patagonia synthetic. You can also find some very light thin layers in the lingerie sections of ordinary clothing stores. Silk is easy to find and feels nice.