Wapama Falls claims another

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
balzaccom
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Re: Wapama Falls claims another

Post by balzaccom »

In years past they have "closed" the trail because of this concern. I wonder why they didn't do that this year.
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
AlmostThere
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by AlmostThere »

rightstar76 wrote: Sat Jun 29, 2019 2:48 am There should be adequate signage indicating so. That will give people a fair warning so they can decide if it's worth taking the risk to cross the bridge.
You mean, like the BIG YELLOW SIGN that says in really big words, WARNING DANGEROUS HIGH WATER AT WAPAMA FALLS FOOTBRIDGES CROSS AT YOUR OWN RISK that is right on the trail before the footbridges?
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

The person who died was not some clueless day-hiking tourist. He was an experienced "adventurer" who was known to take risks. He judged the risk, was wrong, and lost. No sign can stop that. I am sure he and his group saw the sign and/or was aware that others had died on this bridge. There have been times when I judged a risk, half-way finished, realized it was the wrong decision, but was lucky and made it. Nobody is going to cross a bridge with a 100% risk of dying. It is the in-between level of risk that kills. Any of us who more than casually backpack confront this. Each one of us, at some level, has taken a risk. No sign is going to make any difference. Those warning signs are simply put there for liability reasons, so the NPS does not get sued.
rightstar76
Topix Expert

Post by rightstar76 »

Last edited by rightstar76 on Wed May 27, 2020 5:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

RIghtstar- have you been on that bridge?

Here are two photos, although old. The first is in 2006 during high water. The second is very late season in 2008. Evidently the bridge was re-built between these dates. The article on the death said nobody saw the man get swept away- just that they looked back and he was not there. Given the size of newer bridge rails, it is more likely he was swept off one of the ramps approaching the bridge where there are no rails.

I do not buy the too late to turn around hypothesis regarding no sign at the start of the trail. It is really not that far from the trailhead. It is not miles upon miles into the wilderness. We cannot protect everyone who makes bad decisions without shutting down the entire trail. Individual wilderness users need to take some responsibility for their actions. The park service cannot go out there every hour and check conditions to close the trail.

114_1458.JPG
YosNov08_2971_Wapama_bridge2.jpg
There are a lot of risky places and activities in Yosemite. The Park Service has taken more of a hand-off attitude, which I think is proper. Once they stick their noses in they become more liable. Once do-gooders try to protect the stupid, much of the traditional activities (such as extreme climbing) may be restricted. I am sorry for the man and his family, but the dangers were not unknown.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
markskor
Founding Member - RIP

Post by markskor »

rightstar76 wrote: Sat Jun 29, 2019 9:21 am AlmostThere, is the sign still by the bridge? The article said it was but NPS didn't say anything about it.

The current situation where the danger of the bridge is not being emphasized enough is unacceptable.
If the park were serious about emphasizing the danger, it would put up a permanent sign at the start of the trail that explicity states that the bridge can be dangerous during high water and that people have died there. This would warn hikers well in advance of the bridge so it wouldn't be a last minute decision.
Mixed feelings here. With or without a sign, high water is always dangerous.
Why put all the onus on the park? A bit tired of this shifting/playing the blame game...a little common sense would help. You can't fix stupid.
Mountainman who swims with trout
maiathebee
Topix Expert

Post by maiathebee »

The guy was a day hiker, not a backpacker trapped 1.5 miles from their car coming back from a long trip via Rancheria or wherever. Previous parties who perished were backpackers not wanting to add 18 miles to their trip to go around. Unfortunate decision but more understandable than the day hiker (and a reason to always go out via the trail along the reservoir instead of back if it's early season). Crossing for a day hike basically for the thrill of it wouldn't be fixed by a sign at the trailhead--it's 30 minutes walk, can easily turn around at the blatant signage at the bridge and do a different hike.
oh hey! you're reading my signature.
that's nice. want to check out my blog?
here it is: plutoniclove.com
ig: @plutonic_love
rightstar76
Topix Expert

Post by rightstar76 »

Last edited by rightstar76 on Wed May 27, 2020 5:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

As hikers, backpackers, and climbers, we need to take responsibility for our own actions and decisions, with the understanding that when we head out into the wilderness we cannot control Mother Nature, no matter how much experience we may have gained over the years, if we allow our egos to dictate our decisions, we may run into a situation where we don’t come out on top.

I have made decisions in the past, which could have turned out much worse then they did, but have learned from it, instead of patting myself on the back, congratulating myself on cheating death.

Do you want signs, everywhere in the park, where there is a possibility that you could get injured, I sure don’t!

The Park did what it legally needed to do, could they improve the bridge, sure, and that has been an ongoing discussion, but people have to have an awareness, do research, on the area they plan to visit, then taking the necessary precautions, otherwise tragedies like this will continue to happen, and unfortunately they will.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Signs are not the answer. There already is "warning sign" fatigue. Too many signs and they become meaningless. Many people will assume the risks are overstated and ignore the signs. Also, the Yosemite Web Site has ample warnings about high water and its dangers that now are present in the park. All of us, including me, become a bit lax in heeding these warnings. The bridge in Pate Valley is now unsafe and there have been plenty of warnings, yet last year I met people who had still crossed because they did not want to do an in-and-out from Touolumne like I did.

The volume of the falls increases as the day goes on, so they had a more risky situation coming back. Even with a sign, if going out in the morning, the bridge then would look safer and they likely would still have gone across. It is my understanding that coming back his buddies crossed and he was last, adding to the perception that all was OK. Perhaps he just tripped, got dizzy looking at the falls, whatever. We will never know.