Passing of prominent HST member, markskor

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
sekihiker
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Passing of prominent HST member, markskor

Post by sekihiker »

When logging in, I noticed markskor's handle is now purple. I have not found an obituary. Would it be possible to put a link to a deceased member's obituary at his profile page?
rlown
Topix Docent

Re: Passing of prominent HST member, markskor

Post by rlown »

sekihiker
Founding Member

Post by sekihiker »

Thanks for the link, rlown.
Since there are already four pages of reaction to markskor's passing, it's pretty obvious I don't know my way around the forum all that well. As a matter of fact, maybe there is already a link to his obituary somewhere on HST. Maybe there is also a list of other deceased members as well.
My suggestion stands. Would it be possible to put a link to a deceased member's obituary at his profile page? Or, at least a link to the thread where his life is remembered.
When I clicked on markskor's purple icon and found his profile without any links to information about his passing and it was unsettling.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

Official obituaries are overrated nowadays. My opinion. My friends know who they are and I leave a notice to people in a file I keep to let them know if I go with numbers to call in case...

I made sure that Bryan (Mark's son) had my number and obviously he also had OR's number. That's the best way to do it in my opinion.

Sometimes, the best thing is to reread the stories they told and to remember them in that light.
sekihiker
Founding Member

Post by sekihiker »

rlown wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 7:53 pm Sometimes, the best thing is to reread the stories they told and to remember them in that light.
I agree. It was interesting to see how various members remembered him at: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=21943
My point is - it was a shock to see his handle in purple and not be able to find an announcement of his passing here on the forum. Maybe I'm supposed to visit Campfire regularly?
austex
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Post by austex »

"Maybe I'm supposed to visit Campfire regularly?"
Some of the best times I've had have been around a campfire.... But lately they have to be virtual around the Mr. Heater Buddy... Y'all know the importance of the nightly debriefing of the day and planning for the next. Oh well. Go well into the world Mark!
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

Use the "Quick Links" at the top left and select "active topics." You'll see all threads in red regardless of where the thread is.

Notice the "Gone but not forgotten" link at the bottom of the board index page. There's your list of who we know to have passed on.
I'm sure some are missing, but if you don't have a contact to let you know someone went, they won't be on the list.
The Other Tom
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

Post by The Other Tom »

Wow! I had never noticed that before.