Spring 2017 Backpacking Cautionary Thread

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
AlmostThere
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Spring 2017 Backpacking Cautionary Thread

Post by AlmostThere »

rlown wrote:And all of that is why a pre-trip meeting is necessary for a group, especially if they are unknowns.

The trail hiking and no compass skills is a problem, because this is a Spring 2017 thread, most of the trails are buried.
Pre trip meetings don't help a lot when it happens at the trailhead. This is how meetup trips will go -- you don't know who you will have until the day of the trip, and by the time you figure out who the problem children are, they are proving that they LIED THROUGH THEIR TEETH when they agreed to your terms before the trip.

Because of the proliferation of meetups as a platform for this kind of adventure, this is a frequent, ongoing problem. Because I organize for three hiking groups, see it all the time, I try to encourage hike organizers to think about this in advance. Too many of them don't.

Meetup website shows me all the potential events in the area that match my tagged interests -- so I see tons and tons and tons of events popping up where the organizer is showing no awareness whatsoever that there is snow on the ground, that permits are needed, that roads are closed... these people are starting to impact the way things are done in some of the parks. Rules and procedures are changing in some of the hard-hit areas where groups proliferate and inundate trail camps. Just looking at Big Basin's new changes to accommodate groups larger than 12 tips me off that hiking and backpacking isn't just about the wilderness any more, for too many people it's the perfect change to par-tay in the outdoors, and while I roll my eyes at that, I have to acknowledge that it's changing things for the rest of us who have other reasons to be out there. Quotas will change. Rules will be more restrictive trying to reduce damages caused by herds clamoring along through the wilderness. It's not just something to ignore.
Last edited by AlmostThere on Sun Jun 11, 2017 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

Umm. Don't do them but go with trusted people? And even the trusted must be asked the tough questions. All of my discussions happen before arriving at the trail head. Phones work.
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

rlown wrote:Umm. Don't do them but go with trusted people? And even the trusted must be asked the tough questions. All of my discussions happen before arriving at the trail head. Phones work.
That works once you've found people to hike with. That's really, really hard to do.

I hike a lot, every chance I get, and good luck finding anyone with a similar schedule. The upshot of it is that we don't all get this privilege of having a ton of information beforehand. I arrived at the process of winnowing people into a private group from a public group by doing weekends and day hikes on the public group, putting the chosen few in the private group, and then, it diminishes the chances of having the wrong people show up for trips of more than five days.

This is what you have to work with in life when you're not surrounded by people who hike. The majority solve it through social media.

ETA: The example I quoted of a guy glissading to his death -- those were two older gents who had gone backpacking together a lot. Searches I remember were often triggered by a family member who lost the subject and went for help. You'd assume that the person you take will be the person you know them to be, but sometimes the wilderness makes you a different person.
Tom_H
Topix Expert

Post by Tom_H »

DAVELA wrote:I solo hike.No compass skills.
Please.......... :soapbox: just please.....please.......PLEASE! I am without words. Unless you are hiking in an urban park, you are greatly endangering your life every time you set foot on a trail. There are SO many ways you could become lost, injured, die. PLEASE take some classes, learn to use the compass, to interpret topographical maps, to gain survival skills. There is SO much you need to know to hike safely.

We already read too many reports of needless wilderness deaths. Take steps to make sure yours is not one of them. ](*,)
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

As interesting as the discussion has been for the last few pages, let's please get back on the subject matter at hand please, otherwise is intended purpose will be diluted and will have to lock the thread. Thanks :)
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

I'm not sure what the boundaries of the thread is after re-reading the original post.

It boils down to this.. If you haven't experience on the snow, wait until it melts. If you want experience on the snow, go with someone that knows how to deal with it, and carry the right equipment for the conditions.
Shawn
Topix Fanatic

Post by Shawn »

rlown wrote:And all of that is why a pre-trip meeting is necessary for a group, especially if they are unknowns.
Indeed having a pre-trip meeting is the smart thing to do (putting aside the meet-up thing). No matter how well you may know your hiking partner, working out kinks is always possible and best done in advance. I had not considered pre-trip meetings until some years back a co-worker and friend wanted to day hike above Ediza to practice ice axe skills. He's younger and much fitter than me, so I was a bit perplexed as I gained quite a distance from him as we marched up the snow field below Ritter and Banner.

On our way down we stopped for a break above Ediza. He said he was hungry and proceeded to pull all kinds of stuff out of his pack, rope, some sterno, a pan, some other needless stuff, and .....a couple of cans of peaches. :rolleyes: Suddenly I realized why he was moving so slow, all of that cr*p in his pack must have weighed a ton. Afterwards I nicknamed him peaches as did many of our co-workers that heard the story. I'm certain he packs much lighter these days.

Anyway, a pre-trip meeting can prevent oddities for things we would otherwise not expect.
DAVELA
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by DAVELA »

The trail hiking and no compass skills is a problem, because this is a Spring 2017 thread, most of the trails are buried.
Not a problem on unfamiliar trails this year,my hiking ends were the dirt ends.
http://www.suwa.org/protect-greater-canyonlands" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
morganrd13
Topix Newbie
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by morganrd13 »

Been reading this thread with interest leading up to a trip today, June 11, up Long Meadow trail along the Tule River. I called ahead and the ranger said that hikers were crossing at the Redwood despite the high flow, so I thought we'd give it a try. When we got to the trailhead at 1pm, it was 40 degrees and misting. By the time we reached the crossing, our shells were dripping. We stared at the rushing ford and the churning falls beneath, and I told my wife some of the stories shared on this thread, we high fived, and packed it back to the car.

Now we're currently chilling in the Porterville Best Western, sharing a bottle of wine and a hot shower, and planning a day hike tomorrow from Camp Wishon. Ten years ago I likely would have charged ahead, and at the very least been bitterly cold in my tent, wondering if my toes were going to fall off.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Hi Morganrd13,

Welcome to HST!
We stared at the rushing ford and the churning falls beneath, and I told my wife some of the stories shared on this thread, we high fived, and packed it back to the car.
Thank you for sharing this, great to hear that some listen and use what they read and learn here on HST. :)
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org