San Joaquin bridge washout?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
grampy
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: San Joaquin bridge washout?

Post by grampy »

Thanks, @Turbohike -
and here is (imo) an even better photo from that same thread:
https://ibb.co/DwLbjck

… yeah, I could make it across that :derp:
Gogd
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Gogd »

Looks doable for those comfortable with exposure, but those considering may want to tie into the structure in case footing is slippery. I would not be surprised if the park demolitions the bridge to preclude any risk takers from causing an event.
Ed
I like soloing with friends.
texan
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Post by texan »

I wouldn't go over that bridge, looks like it will fall in the river at any moment with any weight or load on it. Park service will replace this bridge for sure.

Texan
dbargaehr1
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by dbargaehr1 »

Gogd wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2023 2:26 pm I would not be surprised if the park demolitions the bridge to preclude any risk takers from causing an event.
Ed
that kind of seems like the wise course of action. If you go straight into the drink this time of year with a full pack on? I don't like those odds…
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

It is hard to say if the material of the bridge, rails and abutments are damaged enough that the bridge could at one point collapse. Clipping into a rail is not going to help if it breaks. The bridge could be solid but just bent, or unstable. Obviously a horse could not go over it. At any rate, I agree, that the risk is more than I would take, but I admit I am a bit risk-adverse. I suspect PCT hikers WILL go over it unless it is taken down. It has been a long time since I used that bridge- is the creek crossable late season? I recall it is a fairly large creek.
Troutdog 59
Topix Expert

Post by Troutdog 59 »

Late in a typical season the South Fork of the San Joaquin is crossable. Been turned away from crossing at the Hot Springs near Muir Trail Ranch a few times in the early season, but its doable later in the season. Not sure this year it will be crossable by the time the next snows start to fall. And as WD said, don't think I'd cross that bridge in that condition but we can't really tell from the pic if its stable or not. I suspect some of the PCT'ers would give it a go.
Once in a while you can get shown the light
In the strangest places if you look at it right.

The Grateful Dead
JWreno
Topix Regular

Post by JWreno »

We are planning to go from South Lake to Yosemite valley next year. Will plan on doing it in September which for most years should be able to cross through the river by then.
Jeff
michaelzim
Topix Regular

Post by michaelzim »

This bridge is a really hot topic on Facebook PCT 2023 page with 115 comments so far. Indeed some hikers have crossed it, others are maybe turning back, but the vast majority are giving it a pass and skipping ahead, or by-passing it via Bishop Pass/Piute Pass.

This photo gives a different take on the risk!

Bridge.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Gogd
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Gogd »

Troutdog 59 wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 7:54 am ..we can't really tell from the pic if its stable or not. I suspect some of the PCT'ers would give it a go.
If @ Harlen would do it, so would I!
Assuming the damage was due to snow pack overload, what remains of the bridge should easily carry the weight of a single hiker and his kit. The biggest risk, therefore appears to be the chance of falling off, given its current topsy-turvy configuration.
Ed
I like soloing with friends.
Lumbergh21
Topix Expert

Post by Lumbergh21 »

Look at the downstream concrete footing on the far side in the pic above and tell me what it is attached to, because it doesn't appear to be attached to anything. Even if the park service doesn't send a crew in to take it down, I bet it will be gone by next spring.