Wanda or Sapphire Lake - One Night Sidetrip Options

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
papercup
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Wanda or Sapphire Lake - One Night Sidetrip Options

Post by papercup »

For a scenic last-night spot, I think your best bet would be to stay at one of the lakes in the upper part of Dusy Basin between 11,200 and 11,400. The farther you go from the trail the more privacy you will have. These are very nice lakes with good views of the Palisades, and you can wander around as you see fit from whichever one you choose. The big lake directly beneath Thunderbolt Col is a little rocky and open for my taste, but the rest are great, and maybe you like rocky and open. Assuming reasonable fitness I think you'd be fine to get out to South Lake from here by mid-afternoon. Dusy Basin is pretty forgiving and it won't be hard to get yourself up to Bishop Pass. Once you're over the pass, the trail down is fast.

There are nice lakes over the pass too, although most of them are right on trail and I'd prefer to be in Dusy. Bishop Lake and Saddlerock Lake are both perfectly pleasant, though.

Upper Dusy Basin Lake
hackashak
Topix Newbie
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by hackashak »

Thank you all. Think I have got some good ideas and looking at my slope maps seems quite doable.
BrianF
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by BrianF »

If you wander into the basin east of Sapphire, you could walk up Mt Spencer, which is easy and not exposed. Although lower than the surrounding peaks it gives a fantastic view of the peaks and basins all around
The direction you are moving in is what matters, not the place you happen to be -Colin Fletcher