Early July Trip Ideas (Mono/Parker Pass Vs. Virginia Lakes)

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
mxoyez
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Re: Early July Trip Ideas (Mono/Parker Pass Vs. Virginia Lakes)

Post by mxoyez »

Wandering Daisy wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 4:50 pm Just a comment on Virginia Lake. I think Green Lake is a better option than Virginia Lake. I day-hiked out of Virginia Lake before and was not that impressed. Either Virginia Lake or Green Lake are likely to have horrible Mosquitoes early July; they are much more "woodsy", exactly where mosquitoes thrive. Virginia Lake has a well rated campground, which attracts lots of people- it would be more crowded than Kuna Crest. Green Lake TH is accessed by a dirt road- less people. The main reason to go into Virgina Lake or Green Lake vs Kuna Crest, is if you plan to fish.
Do you think just the THs would be more crowded, or the trail overall too? And thanks for the advice!
wildhiker
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by wildhiker »

Both areas you are considering are very scenic. Where you go may depend on where you can get a wilderness permit. Either Green or Virginia Lake trailheads have a much larger quota than Parker Pass. Also, whereas Parker Pass trailhead used to be rarely used 10 years ago, it is now frequently used as an alternate start to the John Muir trail southbound for folks who can't get a Lyell Canyon permit, so much more competition for the few permits available.
-Phil
oleander
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Post by oleander »

Agreed on Green Creek being a prettier area than Virginia Lakes. I'd rather spend time in Green Creek.
mxoyez
Topix Acquainted

Post by mxoyez »

wildhiker wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 9:33 pm Both areas you are considering are very scenic. Where you go may depend on where you can get a wilderness permit. Either Green or Virginia Lake trailheads have a much larger quota than Parker Pass. Also, whereas Parker Pass trailhead used to be rarely used 10 years ago, it is now frequently used as an alternate start to the John Muir trail southbound for folks who can't get a Lyell Canyon permit, so much more competition for the few permits available.
-Phil
Ah I see, I wasn't aware of that. Thanks for the insight! Is there anywhere else along tioga pass road (or in hoover) that you think would be less crowded but comparably scenic? Do you still think parker pass would be less crowded?
mxoyez
Topix Acquainted

Post by mxoyez »

oleander wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 9:44 pm Agreed on Green Creek being a prettier area than Virginia Lakes. I'd rather spend time in Green Creek.
I'll keep that in mind! It certainly looks nicer on google earth. I'm hesitant because it's almost 2k feet lower to start though.
Wandering Daisy wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 4:50 pm Just a comment on Virginia Lake. I think Green Lake is a better option than Virginia Lake. I day-hiked out of Virginia Lake before and was not that impressed. Either Virginia Lake or Green Lake are likely to have horrible Mosquitoes early July; they are much more "woodsy", exactly where mosquitoes thrive. Virginia Lake has a well rated campground, which attracts lots of people- it would be more crowded than Kuna Crest. Green Lake TH is accessed by a dirt road- less people. The main reason to go into Virgina Lake or Green Lake vs Kuna Crest, is if you plan to fish.
I don't plan to fish, but the green lake area in general looks more pleasant. I'm just debating whether seeing less people on the trail initially is worth getting into the deep backcountry slower (where there are likely even fewer people).

Green lake and virginia lakes certainly have a lot of permits per day combined (70 :derp: )
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

There really is not 2000 feet difference between Green Lake and Virgina Lake entry to get to where you want to go. Trails from the two entries intersect below Summit Lake- the difference in elevation to get THERE is only 700 feet more from Green Lake. The entire route from Green Lake is very scenic and I doubt you would even notice the difference. The lakes near Virginia Lake are crowded with day-hikers.

McCabe Lakes are better accessed from Saddlebag Lake. Getting to Saddlebag Lakes from either Virginia or Green lakes involves a long trek on trails. Lower McCabe Lake is not much, but upper McCabe Lake is spectacular. I do not think there even is a quota for permits going in Saddlebag Lake. Warning- some of the worst mosquitoes I ever encountered were at Upper McCabe Lake on a July 4th weekend. And the lake basin northwest of Saddlebag Lake can be quite crowded, precisely because there is no quota. It is a good trip, but I would do it in the late season to avoid bugs.

I think the higher lakes west of Summit Lake are a better choice. You can also make it a loop from Green Lake by going up to "Virgina Pass" (which has nothing geographically associated with Virginia Lake) and descend Glines Canyon (a bit of a bushwhack) back to Green Lake. Then go up to West Lake- nice exploring among the small lakes above West Lake. Even if you just go back via East Lake, be sure to go up to West Lake either on entry or exit.
mxoyez
Topix Acquainted

Post by mxoyez »

Wandering Daisy wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 8:01 am There really is not 2000 feet difference between Green Lake and Virgina Lake entry to get to where you want to go. Trails from the two entries intersect below Summit Lake- the difference in elevation to get THERE is only 700 feet more from Green Lake. The entire route from Green Lake is very scenic and I doubt you would even notice the difference. The lakes near Virginia Lake are crowded with day-hikers.

McCabe Lakes are better accessed from Saddlebag Lake. Getting to Saddlebag Lakes from either Virginia or Green lakes involves a long trek on trails. Lower McCabe Lake is not much, but upper McCabe Lake is spectacular. I do not think there even is a quota for permits going in Saddlebag Lake. Warning- some of the worst mosquitoes I ever encountered were at Upper McCabe Lake on a July 4th weekend. And the lake basin northwest of Saddlebag Lake can be quite crowded, precisely because there is no quota. It is a good trip, but I would do it in the late season to avoid bugs.

I think the higher lakes west of Summit Lake are a better choice. You can also make it a loop from Green Lake by going up to "Virgina Pass" (which has nothing geographically associated with Virginia Lake) and descend Glines Canyon (a bit of a bushwhack) back to Green Lake. Then go up to West Lake- nice exploring among the small lakes above West Lake. Even if you just go back via East Lake, be sure to go up to West Lake either on entry or exit.
I see! I will definitely do green creek over virginia lakes then. I'm very partial to trips with lots of layover days, so I think I'll only spend 2 days total with a pack (1 in 1 out). Actually I suppose I could still make a loop by just taking virginia pass out though. What do you think is the best base-camp location for this? I'm thinking either east lake (though it may be crowded), or all the way to return lake.
wildhiker
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by wildhiker »

Parker Pass would be less crowded because the permit quota is much lower, but therefore more competition for permits. Can have day hikers there also, but they don't go beyond the pass.

If going up Green Creek, Hoover Lakes makes a nice basecamp that's easy to get to in one day. Great sunset color on that ridge to the east. Full day trip up to Summit Lake and beyond to Virginia Canyon. Shorter day hike up the trail coming from Virginia Lakes takes you to the pass there with great views.

Check the weather forecast before you go. In my experience, Green Creek is a wind tunnel when there are strong regional winds.

-Phil
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

You may want a wind tunnel in early July mosquitoes!
mxoyez
Topix Acquainted

Post by mxoyez »

wildhiker wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 11:08 am Parker Pass would be less crowded because the permit quota is much lower, but therefore more competition for permits. Can have day hikers there also, but they don't go beyond the pass.

If going up Green Creek, Hoover Lakes makes a nice basecamp that's easy to get to in one day. Great sunset color on that ridge to the east. Full day trip up to Summit Lake and beyond to Virginia Canyon. Shorter day hike up the trail coming from Virginia Lakes takes you to the pass there with great views.

Check the weather forecast before you go. In my experience, Green Creek is a wind tunnel when there are strong regional winds.

-Phil
That looks like a nice campsite! Do you think par value lakes are worth exploring?