What Features Would You Like?

Instead of emailing or messaging the Admins or Mods with technical support questions or comments about the site, we prefer you check here to see if someone else has had the same difficulty or has made the same suggestion. What you're after might have already been posted and addressed here or within the FAQ. If not, please post a detailed description of the problem/suggestion and someone from the HST team will address your needs shortly. If you can't login/post and are unable to reset your password on your own, you may contact us directly.
ERIC
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: What Features Would You Like?

Post by ERIC »

trailblazer wrote:Eric, this came upon in another post...howz about a custom bbcode for image sizes. For example, if the images currently get clipped at 550 width, and a user wants to post a photo at 800 pixel with, the user can enter the image dimensions within the img tag to 'pseudo-resize' the image dimensions to fit within the board limit. It should be easy to add a custom code in the mod panel, I can try it if you'd like (didn't want to mess with things without permission and discussion of course :unibrow: ).
viewtopic.php?f=17&p=22717#p22717
New members, please consider giving us an intro!
Follow us on Twitter @HighSierraTopix. Use hashtags #SIERRAPHILE #GotSierra? #GotMountains?
Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HighSierraTopix
tomcat_rc
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by tomcat_rc »

BSquared wrote:Just something very simple: I'd really like it if it were the default for links to open in a new tab or window, rather than replacing the HST window. I know you said something about this a while ago, but I can't seem to find it. I can certainly right-click (if I remember), but I'm guessing that most people would like a second window, rather than a replacement window.

-B²
any chance of window links opening a new tab rather than redirecting away from the HST page already open?
mountain hiking is addictive:
I can quit anytime I want - I just choose not to want
ERIC

Post by ERIC »

tomcat_rc wrote:
BSquared wrote:Just something very simple: I'd really like it if it were the default for links to open in a new tab or window, rather than replacing the HST window. I know you said something about this a while ago, but I can't seem to find it. I can certainly right-click (if I remember), but I'm guessing that most people would like a second window, rather than a replacement window.

-B²
any chance of window links opening a new tab rather than redirecting away from the HST page already open?
Now that the software has been updated, I can look into that tonight. Seems to me it wasn't a very complicated mod.

Eric
Follow us on Twitter @HighSierraTopix. Use hashtags #SIERRAPHILE #GotSierra? #GotMountains?
ERIC

Post by ERIC »

ERIC wrote:Now that the software has been updated, I can look into that tonight. Seems to me it wasn't a very complicated mod.

Eric

Ok, I played around with the code a bit and think I've got it working now. It seems to work most of the time. Give it a shot and let me know how it works for you.
BSquared
Founding Member
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by BSquared »

Ok, I played around with the code a bit and think I've got it working now. It seems to work most of the time. Give it a shot and let me know how it works for you.
Works just fine, as far as I can tell. Thanks!

-B²
trav867
Topix Regular

Post by trav867 »

What about a sticky thread with Sierra webcam images? For example, the webcam image from bald mountain looking towards kennedy meadows is always located at: http://sierrafire.cr.usgs.gov/output/sw ... tain_3.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
So posting that image will keep an auto updating photo on the thread.

Would this be cool or unnecessary?
ERIC

Post by ERIC »

trav867 wrote:What about a sticky thread with Sierra webcam images? For example, the webcam image from bald mountain looking towards kennedy meadows is always located at: http://sierrafire.cr.usgs.gov/output/sw ... tain_3.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
So posting that image will keep an auto updating photo on the thread.

Would this be cool or unnecessary?
Sounds like a good idea.
Go ahead and start the thread and I'll sticky it. Just be sure to use the 'rimg' brackets rather than the 'Img' brackets to post the cam images so they don't get cut off like the one you just posted. :)
Hetchy
Topix Regular

Slideshow of Member submitted Photos?

Post by Hetchy »

How about a slideshow of member submitted photos. I guess there would need to be a hueristic algorythym to seek out the IMG URL's on the site and store them on the server in one .dat file so they could be systematically displayed at a consistent rate, say every fifteen seconds.
Okay, I made up all the technical stuff.. I know it is hard to believe. (I should have wrote the script for an episode of star trek)! :retard:
Another thought is a HST screen saver made up of member submitted Sierra photo's that could be downloaded periodically by members as it is updated. (I'll get to work on that anti-matter containment field right away!) :retard:

I know, You don't get paid to do this stuff, and I truly appreciate that this site is here at all!
In fact: Thanks to you; Eric and all the High Sierra Topix Moderators for creating this cool site and all the hard work keeping it that way! =D>
You can make more money, but you can't make more time.
ERIC

Re: Slideshow of Member submitted Photos?

Post by ERIC »

Hetchy wrote:How about a slideshow of member submitted photos. I guess there would need to be a hueristic algorythym to seek out the IMG URL's on the site and store them on the server in one .dat file so they could be systematically displayed at a consistent rate, say every fifteen seconds.
Okay, I made up all the technical stuff.. I know it is hard to believe. (I should have wrote the script for an episode of star trek)! :retard:
Another thought is a HST screen saver made up of member submitted Sierra photo's that could be downloaded periodically by members as it is updated. (I'll get to work on that anti-matter containment field right away!) :retard:

I know, You don't get paid to do this stuff, and I truly appreciate that this site is here at all!
In fact: Thanks to you; Eric and all the High Sierra Topix Moderators for creating this cool site and all the hard work keeping it that way! =D>
I'm waiting for a database bridge to be released that will bridge Coppermine and phpBB3. When/if that happens, users will be able to have their own albums on HST. Photos from those albums could be displayed in a stream; in random order, most viewed, highest rated, etc.
The way photos are posted on here now (where most are hyperlinked from other sites and embedded into threads), there's really no way to do that.
Hetchy
Topix Regular

Post by Hetchy »

Hey, Eric! That will be really cool!
I know you mentioned the Dang Russian Hackers got in through the photos when they used to be kept on the site before. Wiped out the site for a while as I recall. All that PHP BB bridge stuff is like nuclear physics to me though, but I will take your word for it.
Thanks for the reply and all the hard work Bro.
This is a great site just the way it is now and anything else is "icing" on the cake!
Cheers, Hetchy
You can make more money, but you can't make more time.