TR Center Basin 7/14-15/2017

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
bbayley80
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: TR Center Basin 7/14-15/2017

Post by bbayley80 »

thanks so much for the trip report and great pics Cloudlesssky! I've had this on my radar too for some time want to tie it into a Circle of Solitude variation at some point. looked gorgeous-and no skeeters is ALWAYS a bonus :)
bagboy
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by bagboy »

Wandering Daisy wrote:I also was surprised about the amount of standing water and lack of mosquitoes on my Pioneer Basin trip. My guess, is that it has been freezing at night and that a period of warm nights as well as warm days will be needed to get the hatch going. I think this coming week may do it.

I was just in Pioneer Basin a few days ago and was also perplexed about the very minimal mosquito activity there. They had absolutely clobbered me at 4th Recess, Grinnell and Lower Hopkins. For some reason Pioneer was strangely different. And oh my was it awesome!! :eek:
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

bagboy wrote:I was just in Pioneer Basin a few days ago and was also perplexed about the very minimal mosquito activity there. They had absolutely clobbered me at 4th Recess, Grinnell and Lower Hopkins. For some reason Pioneer was strangely different. And oh my was it awesome!! :eek:
Any chance we get a TR and pictures from your recent trip? We like pictures, especially now given the snow and skeeters.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Post by Wandering Daisy »

I finally got photos into my Pioneer Basin report. I just tagged it on to my other post "Pioneer Basin?" It would be interesting to see how our photos compare.
bagboy
Topix Novice

Post by bagboy »

Wandering Daisy wrote:I finally got photos into my Pioneer Basin report. I just tagged it on to my other post "Pioneer Basin?" It would be interesting to see how our photos compare.
Were you by chance camped at the biggest lake at ~ 10,862ft on the 16th? I saw what I think was a greenish colored tent there. I'm working through my photos at the moment. The numerous swollen streams beyond the turnoff to Pioneer Basin were amazing! I ran into a guy that said he couldn't find a way to cross Mono Creek to get up into the 2nd Recess. He said it was just raging. Awesome time to be out there!!
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Post by Wandering Daisy »

No, I was in Pioneer Basin on the 12-13th. Was out and home by the 16th.