Rethinking this summer!

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
balzaccom
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Re: Rethinking this summer!

Post by balzaccom »

I agree. Just like I check out other elements of a campsite, I usually try to check out the fauna...
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
Shhsgirl
Topix Regular

Post by Shhsgirl »

Here's the kiosk on the road to Red's Meadow on Jan. 17, just before the last three storms.
IMG_0994.jpg
We went down the road for a ways, but turned back due to adjacent avalanche-looking slopes.
IMG_0996.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
SSSdave
Topix Addict

Post by SSSdave »

Lumbergh21 wrote:Actually, we haven't seen this before, at least not since the State began recording precipitation and measuring snow pack. All three regions are ahead of record pace for precipitation, which by the way was set in a different water year for each of the three regions. We are also ahead of record snow pack for this time of the year in the San Joaquin and Tulare regions (northern Sierra is above average for this time of the year but not above record pace). So, actually, we haven't seen anything like this before from one end of the state to the other. That doesn't mean we will have record precipitation and snow pack come April 1, the date that the State uses to determine how much water all the water rights holders get, but we are in an extremely unusual weather pattern through January. I just hope that I can go on one of the Sierra trips that I had planned for mid or late August without too much trouble.
We (well at least old guys like some of us) have seen this before in regards to having much greater snow depths than normal. Not about whether there is modestly more snow now on this January date than anytime in the past because the impacts on backpackers WILL be similar to big winters of the past. The fact this year some areas that normally have a 5 foot pack in January now show 18 foot depths will not be very different as to how they impact we enthusiasts during other big years when there may have just been 12 or 15 feet. Additionally comparing snow on the ground for January dates misses some huge El Nino years when the biggest storms were later in winter like 1986 and 1997. 1955 and 1969 were huge years for December and January storms but there were no remote weather stations in that era so solid meterological data is very limited.

David
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Don't forget the runoff! Regardless of how much snow is on the ground by Memorial Day, there will be a big runoff at some time. I am more worried about stream crossings than snow itself. Read some of the 2011 PCT journals and see what the stream crossings were like!
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

What Daisy said. Summer snow is relatively easy to deal with safely. Major Stream crossings, especially when solo scare the pee out of me!
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
TehipiteTom
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by TehipiteTom »

Hell yes to what Daisy & Oldranger said. When planning your route this summer, take a hard look at any significant streams you might have to cross, and think about alternatives if they can't be crossed safely.
fourputt
Topix Acquainted

Post by fourputt »

Speaking of crossings, here's an an amusing -- and hopefully eye-opening -- warning re high water from RJ Secor:

http://climber.org/reports/1999/431.html
SSSdave
Topix Addict

Post by SSSdave »

Too early now midwinter to have impact on others, but say in early spring, would be worthwhile having a thorough stream crossing thread.

David
Cross Country
Topix Fanatic

Post by Cross Country »

Is there a bridge crossing at upper paridise valley from Kings Canyon.
TehipiteTom
Founding Member

Post by TehipiteTom »

Cross Country wrote:Is there a bridge crossing at upper paridise valley from Kings Canyon.
Yes, assuming it doesn't get washed out in the spring.