Highway 180 Expected, and Possibly Mineral King Road, to Remain Closed in 2023

All discussion related to transportation to, from and within the Sierra Nevada. Need directions or flight information? Info on road conditions? A ride to the trail head? Can you offer a ride, or do you run a transportation business or shuttle service for the Sierra Nevada? Come on in and post the details!
grampy
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: Highway 180 Expected, and Possibly Mineral King Road, to Remain Closed in 2023

Post by grampy »

see this:
https://quickmap.dot.ca.gov/

You have to click on the map legend box for “full closures” to show; the map will show that 180 (a.k.a. Kings Canyon Scenic Byway) is still closed at the Hume turnoff.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jmherrell
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Re: Highway 180 Expected, and Possibly Mineral King Road, to Remain Closed in 2023

Post by jmherrell »

I called the visitor center at Grant Grove and was told that the road is open to Grizzly Falls which is about 3 miles from the park boundary at Lewis Creek. It will be some time before the park is ready for overnight visitors but day use should happen sooner.
jmherrell
Topix Acquainted

Post by jmherrell »

Just to clarify the closure status at the park boundary at the end of hwy 180, I called the Grant Grove VC again and it is a hard closure, no pedestrians, no bicycles.
limpingcrab
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by limpingcrab »

I parked at the closure between Deer Cove and Lewis Creek yesterday with my wife and kids for mothers day and we biked about a mile into the park. A ranger drove by and just smiled and waved. Not sure what the official status is but that was my experience biking a little into the park.

An employee at Boyden Cavern was told that the park is looking at mid June for the reopening of the rest of the 180 but it wasn't official info. Boyden people were originally told the road would open to the park boundary at the end of May and it opened early, I hope that happens again for the rest of it!

Side note: not holding my breath, the park under Clay Jordan doesn't seem to prioritize visitor access :(
JosiahSpurr
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by JosiahSpurr »

URL:
https://www.nps.gov/seki/planyourvisit/ ... Highway180

says:

"Highway 180 between Hume Lake Road and Roads End was extensively damaged and was closed throughout all of 2023 and early 2024. Caltrans recently completed repairs outside the park, west of Cedar Grove, and reopened that portion of the highway on May 10, 2024."

URL
https://roads.dot.ca.gov/roadscell.php?roadnumber=180

says:

"Wednesday, May 15th, 2024 at 11:42 AM.
SR 180
[IN THE CENTRAL CALIFORNIA AREA]
Is closed from 1.3 mi west of Cedar Grove /at Deer Cove/ to Cedar Grove 24 hrs a day 7 days a week thru 7/1/24 - Due to snow - Motorists are advised to use an alternate route."

(Amazing, good work Caltrans!)
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Just checked. Still not issuing permits.