First trip to Sierra's (Bishop Pass)

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
bjpm
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

First trip to Sierra's (Bishop Pass)

Post by bjpm »

First trip to the Sierra's, first post on HST! I have a 7 day trip planned in August departing out of South Lake and entering through Bishop Pass. I would like to incorporate some of Steve Roper's route into the trip. I have attached a proposed route and was looking for insight if this is doable for 7 days? Or alternatively, what is some of the best of the Sierra's available from Bishop Pass with 7 days to spend? Appreciate any feedback from the HST community.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
grampy
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: First trip to Sierra's (Bishop Pass)

Post by grampy »

Hi, bjpm -
First, I’d suggest reading this …
viewtopic.php?t=4205
… and return to answer as many of the questions as possible.

Also, your attached map is crazy-hard to read and lacks much definition. The eastern segment looks somewhat self-explanatory - leave the trail in Dusy Basin and head x/c through Palisade Basin and rejoin the JMT ? Then south until you hit Bubbs Creek, then west to Roads End, then north on the Copper Creek trail, and leave the trail somewhere before Granite Pass.
I’m assuming the next part is based on the SHR (which I’m not well acquainted with).

Sounds like a great trip, but why not try saving your route in “public” mode in CalTopo and provide a link to it. If the other forum members more experienced than me (which would be most of them) have a better map, I’m sure they’ll help you out.
Last edited by grampy on Tue May 07, 2024 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
thegib
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by thegib »

7 days is not realistic. Do half this trip.
The Other Tom
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

Post by The Other Tom »

Adding to what @grampy posted, be mindful of the altitude. You say this will be your first hike in the Sierra. Does that mean you haven't hiked at, say 10,000 feet before? If you haven't, I'd suggest you spend a day or two for acclimation. Also read up on altitude sickness.
FrankPS
Topix Acquainted

Post by FrankPS »

I second the idea that this is not realistic for 7 days.

What is your backpacking experience? Are you fairly fit?
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Regardless of your experience level, you need to sit down and calculate each proposed day's mileage, noting off- or on-trail portions, elevation gains and losses. Seven days sounds impossible, but I cannot say off-the-cuff. Once I see your experience level and more planning details, I may be able to comment. Roper's high route sections are not to be taken lightly if you have not done off-trail travel in the Sierra before.
bjpm
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Post by bjpm »

Thank you for the feedback, I should have included some more information on the original post. I included a link to the CalTopo map I created of the route for clarification. I would say I am relatively fit for a trip like this, I have done 10,000+ hikes in RMNP before so as a flatlander coming to mountains am aware of the altitude effects. Appreciate the comment on the acclimatization as well. Hiking experience is more on the day trips side, this will be the longest I have done for backpacking. I have put the routes through CalTopo to review distance, elevation gained, on/off trail for a general guide to what can be expected for distance each day. Just looking to see from HST community if there is any experience with this particular route. Thanks again...

https://caltopo.com/m/D8CNL
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

This section of the SHR I did in 2010 was on the last section (I flip-flopped N-S and S-N). I was totally acclimated after nearly 20 days out. I had a pack with 9 days food. I tend to limit my hours hiking to 6-8 hours and try to hit high passes early due to lightning hazards. I did this late August. Anyway, this is how it went:

Roads End to south of Goat Pass: 8.6 miles, 8.6 hours, 6360 feet gain
to Gray Pass: 9.3 miles, 7 hours, 2825 feet gain
to Lakes Basin: 6.4 miles, 7.8 hours, 2300 feet gain
to just below Mather Pass north side*: 6.5 miles, 6.5 hours, 2485 gain
to Barrett Lakes: 5.7 miles, 7.5 hours, 2500 feet gain

I then continued to PCT and north towards Muir Pass and over Alpine Col to end to North Lake. Barrett Lakes back to South Lake is a fairly easy day.

* easy to drop to Palisades Lakes but I have a favorite campsite up high away from people- additionally afternoon storm popped up. Stop at Gray Pass was also determined by a severe afternoon storm. I stopped early in Lakes Basin simply because I like Lakes Basin and did not want to do Frozen Lake Pass late afternoon. I am a "daily destination" hiker, not inclined to go for a set amount of hours to maximize mileage. Your style may be different.

My pace would end of 5 days for your return leg of the trip.

The question is also one of what is enjoyable vs a death march.

Given your Rocky Mountain experience, you are well aware of severe storms. The Sierra has less storms, but any individual storm can be just as severe.

Good Luck
wsp_scott
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by wsp_scott »

Your Caltopo map shows a couple 20+ days, that is a lot even if flat when you are at 10000'. For example, what you labeled SHR5 (day 5?) is 25 miles with almost 7500' up and 4000' down. Not impossible for some people, but not realistic for most people.
My trip reports: backpackandbeer.blogspot.com
stevet
Topix Regular

Post by stevet »

Help us help you by providing the detail indicated in this post: viewtopic.php?t=4205

At first blush, unless to can knock back 25+ mile days at altitude both on and off trail, I'd say not doable. This being your first time to the Sierra take your time and let it soak in. You can get from South Lake to Roads End in 4 long days, but then you miss what the SHR has to offer in Palisades Basin, and you'll fly by and miss any opportunity to visit Center Basin and Golden Bear Lake, and visit Lake Reflection. That leg alone is worth taking 7 days. (of course, the shuttle is a bear and Hwy180 may still be closed).

South Lake to Onion Valley, or South Lake to North Lake and both solid introductions to the Sierra, both provide option to see the Palisades Basin segment of the SHR, and both have other off trail or off the beaten path places to visit as time allows.