TR: LL Valley Circle- Mono Pass, Gabbot, Cox Col, 6/26 - 6/30/2022

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Harlen
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

TR: LL Valley Circle- Mono Pass, Gabbot, Cox Col, 6/26 - 6/30/2022

Post by Harlen »

In my growing tradition of temporarily converting surfers to mountaineers, I took our visiting Argentine surfer friend "Manu" for a wild ride on the crest of the Sierra.  We started up Little Lakes Valley (LLV) with open plans either to explore Laurel Creek, cross the ridge over to Hopkins Basin, and return legally*; or to go up Mills Creek, Gabbot Pass, and circle around to LLV via the infamous Cox Col.

100_0976.JPG
Gazing toward our ultimate destination-- The shoulder of Bear Creek Spire, and Cox Col.

100_1150.JPG
Here's Manu and Bearzy.  

100_1014.JPG

Many flowers were in full bloom.  Indian Paintbrush and Mariposa Lily. 

100_1009.JPG

Bear Creek Spire is one of my very favorite peaks, and I have long wanted to get high up on its northern slopes.   The Cox Col route would put us out of bounds on our return down LLV.*[Not so, see comments below]  We let the Mono Creek crossing call the shot, and as it was dead easy-- off we went, up Mills Creek toward a life of crime.  

100_0974.JPG
Bearzy high on the Mono Pass trail, and dry as a bone.

100_0992.JPG
And Bearzy at 4th Recess Lake, like a soaking wet, big red rat!  What a difference a few miles makes!

We left the Mosquito Flat TH mid-afternoon, yet made the 7.7 miles over Mono Pass, and down to camp by 4th Recess Lake.  After leaving the day-hiker Mecca of LLV, we had the trail and the lake to ourselves.  Manu saw his first big Marmots, and Hares, and a few Golden-mantled Squirrels.  Wandering up that long lake in the morning, I saw nothing but very small trout, I have no idea what else might be in those deep waters, which look so promising.  The waterfall coming down from the hanging valley looked like a fun climb. 

100_0991.JPG

Our second day was grueling, and though Manu carried a liter of water, he suffered cramps, weakness, nausea and worse-- some of the water he drank came back up.  Dehydration was the likely culprit, and after a rest day at Lower Mills Creek Lake, Manu improved dramatically. I still seem impervious to dehydration due to my camel-like abilities, however, with the worry about Manu, and the long, dry stretch ahead, I made a rare water carry of 1.5 liters up to Gabbot Pass.  We found water very near the top of Gabbot, after carrying it from far below-- damn!  Originally, we thought to climb Mt. Gabb, but instead we just carried on over North Cox Col, to a high camp by Dade Lake.   It went very well for all of us.  I left Bearzy's empty pack on him, for the strong handle to use in lifting or lowering him, but there was very little of that needed.  I was grateful for the sound advice gleaned here about "North Cox Col."  It really did make the crossing easier.  

100_1011.JPG
Scarlet Gilia.

So, the route of our trip was this:  Over Mono Pass to 4th Recess Lake on Day 1; near to Lower Mills Creek Lake on the troublesome Day 2; and up to Lower Mills Creek Lake for a Day 3 of rest, and fishing around. On Day 4 we crossed over Gabbot Pass, and North Cox Col, to a camp by Dade Lake.  On our final day, we hiked out from Dade Lake through LLV to the TH below Mosquito Flat.  The trip was about 33 miles, with 7,350' of uphill.  Our biggest mammals were a closeup view of a big old Hare, and some nice sightings of Yellow-bellied Marmots.  The next biggest animal we saw, we ate-- that was the Golden Trout I caught.  Without my birding buddies (and stupidly leaving my binocs on the roof of the car!), I could only positively ID. 14 bird species, the best of which were the families of Grouse who exploded from around our feet on two occasions.  The dehydration health issue, occurring deep in the range, was concerning, but was resolved pretty easily.  We escaped the wrath of the rangers on our walk down LLV, * but now know for sure that the wilderness permits do indeed preclude mixing areas, which is a shame. *[Not so. Thanks to queries by "looks easy from here," and WD. I believe I am mistaken here. One must only head in via the pass/area of the WP, and then we're free.] The rule is necessary to limit the overuse of the areas, but on our walk out, we saw exactly 2 overnight parties, and 1 was a solitary camper.  There were no others high in the basin near us.  The whole trip was remarkable for the lack of other backpackers.  We saw only 5 people after leaving LLV.  We were alone at 4th Recess Lake, alone at our camps in  Mills Creek, and saw no one on the day we crossed the last 2 passes. Alone again while camped at Dade Lake, and we saw no one well into the next morning's walk out.  We had a great time in the mountains, but on our return, that damn Manu took off his boots, and went right back into the waves!

100_1012.JPG
Mono Creek at the junction with Mills Creek.  Easy crossing over a dry log.

100_1037.JPG
We stopped early at the lake just a bit lower than Lower Mills Creek Lake.

Little Lakes Valley Circle.jpg
Route Map: with Days 1 - 2 in Blue, Days 3 - 4 in Purple, and Day 5 Orange. Day hikes marked in Green. [Cl. 2x to expand]
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Harlen on Sun Dec 04, 2022 12:56 pm, edited 16 times in total.
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.
Harlen
Topix Addict

TR: LL Valley Circle- Mono Pass, Gabbot, Cox Col, 6/26 - 6/30

Post by Harlen »

100_1019.JPG

100_1048.JPG

100_1040.JPG

100_1043.JPG
The crest on the east side of Mills Creek is a unique, 3 mile long mountain wall stretching to Mt. Mills.

100_1061.JPG
There is a beautiful meadow on the east side of Lower Mills Creek Lake

100_1073.JPG
Upper Mills Creek Lake.

100_1084.JPG
I fished a couple of the lakes, and in one I released a lot of small Golden Trout, and in the other, I caught 6 Goldens, from 10 to 14."  

100_1071.JPG

100_1081.JPG
I placed this fish here on a blank rock so I could claim my first 20" fish, but I reckon geologist Giantbrookie would find a way to analyze the size of one of the  crystals, and expose my fraud.

100_1106.JPG

100_1110.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Harlen on Sat Jul 09, 2022 9:05 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Carne_DelMuerto
Topix Expert

Re: TR: LL Valley Circle- Mono Pass, Gabbot, Cox Col, 7/26 - 7/30

Post by Carne_DelMuerto »

Nice report. I love that area. Did you mean 6/26 - 6/30 in your post title?
Wonder is rock and water and the life that lives in-between.
Harlen
Topix Addict

Post by Harlen »

100_1104.JPG
The saddle on the right is the gateway to Gabbot Pass.

100_1121.JPG

100_1075.JPG

100_1126.JPG
Climbing above the upper lakes, you begin to get a view north.  The broad peak on the right is Peak 12,160, hanging over Silver Pass. (Blue arrow)

100_1122.JPG

100_1078.JPG
 The convoluted route to Gabbot Pass is roughly marked in red.  The old, off-trail High Route is now pretty well trailed in Mills Creek.  

100_1129.JPG

100_1131.JPG
Nearly on the pass.

100_1133.JPG
Very close.

100_1135.JPG
 And we're there.  

100_1140.JPG
To the SW, you begin to see some Bear Creek area peaks.  Feather and Gemini are seen in the distance-- left and right.

100_1139.JPG
Bear Creek Spire, with Cox Col.  We chose an unnecessarily high line across, and ended up dropping back down a bit, to make it easier.
Last edited by Harlen on Tue Jul 12, 2022 7:14 am, edited 2 times in total.
oddtiger
Topix Regular

Post by oddtiger »

Nice! I'm actually driving up to do this loop tomorrow but have to compact it to 2 days. Would love to see the condition on the Cox col!
Harlen
Topix Addict

Post by Harlen »

100_1145.JPG
It was the most scenic route though. 

100_1152.JPG
Cox Col is very easy to reach from the west.

100_1159.JPG
The North Cox Col had Coyote tracks leading to it- which we took as a good sign.

100_1163.JPG

100_1162.JPG
Bear Creek Spire, with Mount Tom, and Spire and Split Lakes in view.

100_1170.JPG
Little Lakes Valley again, on the east side of the col.

100_1181.JPG
Dade Lake.  The dawn was beautiful.

100_1215.JPG
The route we took down, from what some now call "North Cox Col," is shown in blue. The section hidden behind the ridge is all class 2 and easy.   The regular Cox Col, at the lowest point of the ridge, is within the red circle, and it looked a lot steeper, and more exposed.

100_1211.JPG

100_1218.JPG
The next morning we found this deluxe camp-- Oh well.

100_1188.JPG

100_1173.JPG
Last edited by Harlen on Fri Jul 08, 2022 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Harlen
Topix Addict

Post by Harlen »

100_1187.JPG

100_1177.JPG
(Click on the pano to expand.)

100_1226.JPG

100_1223.JPG
Pygmy fleabane? Erigeron pygmaeus.

100_1225.JPG
Columbine.

100_1227.JPG
Bearzy's favorite part of the trip-- not the end-- the water!
Last edited by Harlen on Fri Jul 08, 2022 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jlweinberger
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by jlweinberger »

Beautiful pictures and a great report. Thanks for sharing and inspiring :)
Harlen
Topix Addict

Post by Harlen »

Carne_DelMuerto wrote:
Nice report. I love that area. Did you mean 6/26 - 6/30 in your post title?
Thanks for pointing that out.
Last edited by Harlen on Fri Jul 08, 2022 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Harlen
Topix Addict

Re: TR: LL Valley Circle- Mono Pass, Gabbot, Cox Col, 6/26 - 6/30

Post by Harlen »

oddtiger wrote:
Nice! I'm actually driving up to do this loop tomorrow but have to compact it to 2 days. Would love to see the condition on the Cox col!
That sounds like quite an effort. I suppose if you got an early start from LLV, you might make it to the Mills Creek Lakes area in one long day. We didn't start till 3 PM. It would help you acclimatize too, since you could sleep at a lower elevation lower in Mills Creek. Are you doing our same route Oddtiger? It isn't many miles is it? I added in our day hiking miles, plus our short deviation to explore 4th Recess Lake too-- so it might be less than 25 miles. Sounds like too very fine days-- Great luck!, Ian.