Late Season DomeLand Wilderness Adventure

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
krudler
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

Late Season DomeLand Wilderness Adventure

Post by krudler »

Wow I am so stoked that this site is back! Its kind of strange to think of all the adventures I've been on this year since it 'disappeared', including my one-week solo adventure to the Kern Canyon (awesome!). I can't believe I made it without all the advice and stuff that I have garnered from the people here! Thanks Eric for your hard work!!

Well the wifey and I were supposed to be going to Japan for 2 weeks, but her dad got lung cancer so we had to cancel the trip. As a result I had some free time to play with so my friend and I took a 3-day weekend this past weekend and returned to the DomeLand Wilderness once again for a backpacking/flyfishing adventure on the S.Fork Kern in the Rockhouse Meadow area near White Dome.

Good times, good fishing. The fishing was somewhat challenging (you had to get the fly on the spot), but where you thought there should be a fish there probably was one. I caught about 6 fish, lost maybe that many more. The one thing is there didn't appear to be any dinks in this part of the stream - every fish was at least 11-12", with the biggest a rainbow topping out around 14". Temps were below freezing (mid 20's) at night, and Friday night the wind was brutal. But. a well placed fire, down, and some whiskey kept us plenty warm. Sat night we heard coyotes howling and yipping all around in every direction. It was very cool.

Good times were had. Groove on the pics at:
http://albums.photo.epson.com/j/AlbumIn ... 1954672&f=

Theres some other pics in the albums too, from this summer - but I won't fill up space recanting all those tales...

Good to be back! I might try thr JMT next year, so maybe I'll be needing some advice... :)
Ratboy
Topix Regular

Post by Ratboy »

Looks great. Fairly new to all the places to go around CA...any resources for more info on Domeland?
Dave - Getting it done, one day at at time.
http://www.dnkrhodes.com
krudler
Founding Member

Post by krudler »

Google? :)
Seriously though, thats about all I did. Theres not a whole lot of detailed stuff out there but there is enough general info to get an idea, plus you'll come across some other trip reports maybe with some pics. You can also go to REI and get a topo map of DomeLand (about $10) - I have it and its pretty good, but I tend to use my TOPO! cd rom more often than that now.
The whole DomeLand area is just west of the 14/395 area, between hwy 178 and the Kennedy Meadows turnoff. If theres no traffic its a solid 3.5 hour cruise from the OC. It gets hot in the summer, so June/July/August would be kind of brutal. Spring is cool but the river often runs righ.
Skibum
Founding Member

Post by Skibum »

Fun pics, Thanks for the report. Any goldens?
krudler
Founding Member

Post by krudler »

Thanks.
No, although I know there are some in Manter Creek, at least at the higher elevation up towards Little Manter Meadow. Many of the rainbows seemed to have an almost hybridized look to them, with some of that coloration, but this could have just been the evening light :)
MikeHayes0261
Topix Newbie

Domeland 04

Post by MikeHayes0261 »

I went there in 2004 on a 3 day hike with friends
We came in on the east side
Made camp by the river on the first day
Then the following morning we hiked to
a water fall by the river then went north
to the cabin site with the stove second day
then hiked out