Stream Question

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Hiker Neil
Topix Newbie
Experience: N/A

Stream Question

Post by Hiker Neil »

I am doing a 2 night, 3 day hike next week. Walking in at Agnew Meadows on the PCT then up to Donohue Pass, then back down to Agnew via JMT.
My question: how many streams will I cross and what is current status of these streams? Can I cross barefoot? Do I need to carry separate water shoes?

Are mosquito's as bad as I hear???

Thanks!
Hiker Neil
cgundersen
Topix Fanatic

Post by cgundersen »

Hi Neil,
I got back yesterday from 7 days in the Minarets area and yes the bugs are plentiful. Lemon eucalyptus oil helped repel them, but DEET was better. Streams are no problem; any major crossings (for instance, from Shadow Lake back down to the River trail which requires getting over the San Joaquin) have bridges. And, the stunning wildflowers help distract attention from the bugs; especially along the High trail (and, there were spring-fed creeks every quarter mile on the High trail, so you don't need to worry about water on that stretch). However you choose to do the route, it should be great!
CG
mikehike
Topix Regular

Post by mikehike »

We just spent 3 nights above shadow creek, bugs were pretty bad. We had headnets combined with a hat make it pretty easy. I have definitly seen worse. We hiked to Ediza and the bugs were much worse, down at shadow lake they were less. A few cold nights should help. Streams are definitly higher than normal for this time of year, more like late July conditions. My kids and my jack russel terrier easily crossed shadow creek above the lake in there bear feet.[/img]