Hello from Orange County, CA

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
Pyrotek
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Post by Pyrotek »

Hey everyone,

I am new to this website. I have been backpacking for the last 3 months or so (mostly Angeles National Forest) I have all my own gear and plus extra backup gear. I am on here because I am looking for a hiking/backpacking partner. Normally, I hike out a friday night, and come back on a sunday. I have all weekends off from work and have no problem driving a little ways for a fun adventure.

A little about myself, I am 24, got a new trail dog (around 4 months old) and work full time. I used to race downhill mountain biking until I ripped my ACL, had surgery and been backpacking since then. Pretty much all my friends aren't able to make it out for weekend trips due to them working all of the time. It would be pretty cool to find a few people that are more available for some backpacking trips. Once I get to the camping destination, I enjoy drinking a beer and hanging around the campfire to keep it fun!

Anyone out there from Orange County California?

Cheers :thumbsup:

Jonathan
Vaca Russ
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Hello from Orange County, CA

Post by Vaca Russ »

Hi Jonathan!

I'm old, drink wine and live in Northern Ca. But welcome to HST! This is a great place to learn.

Good luck with your search. I'm sure you will meet many great people.

-Russ
"...Or have you only comfort, and the lust for comfort, that stealthy thing that enters the house a guest, and then becomes a host and then a master?"

Kahil Gibran.
Pyrotek
Topix Novice

Post by Pyrotek »

Thanks russ, Nice to meet ya! This site is pretty cool thus far.

Jonathan
balzaccom
Topix Addict

Post by balzaccom »

HI Jonathan

I am a wine drinker from NOrCal as well...but I know there are people from the LA area on these boards. Poke around--you will be amazed at how much info is here!
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Founding Member & Forums Moderator

Post by giantbrookie »

Welcome, Jonathan. I can't say I'm in Orange Co. (I'm in Fresno), nor am I free to go on trips outside of family ones, but I think you've come to a great electronic meeting place of High Sierra enthusiasts.
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
DAVELA
Topix Regular

Post by DAVELA »

Check out meetup.com
They have endless backpacking/hiking groups to choose from and join.
http://www.suwa.org/protect-greater-canyonlands" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
RoguePhotonic
Topix Fanatic

Post by RoguePhotonic »

I know a guy that lives in Orange County that hikes the local area almost every weekend. He is 26 and likes to drink plenty of beer around the camp fire. He does some extreme stuff in my opinion while backpacking but is over all allot of fun.

This is his Facebook:

http://www.facebook.com/tyler.johnson.7127" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Your always welcome to join me on any adventure. I'm from Bakersfield but it is on your way to the Sierra.
Pyrotek
Topix Novice

Post by Pyrotek »

Thanks for the warm welcomes to the site!
RoguePhotonic wrote:I know a guy that lives in Orange County that hikes the local area almost every weekend. He is 26 and likes to drink plenty of beer around the camp fire. He does some extreme stuff in my opinion while backpacking but is over all allot of fun.

This is his Facebook:

http://www.facebook.com/tyler.johnson.7127" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Your always welcome to join me on any adventure. I'm from Bakersfield but it is on your way to the Sierra.
Thanks Rogue, I am down for joining on some trips. Ive never been to the sierras, but Im totally up for that. I wouldnt add him on facebook unless he gave the approval, wouldnt want to be some random person hitting him up out of no where lol.

Ill throw you a message too.

Jonathan
Bluewater
Topix Expert

Post by Bluewater »

Welcome to HST Jonathon. I live in Orange County and spend most of the summer in the southern Sierra. We are only 4 hours away from the nearest Sierra trailhead. You are always welcome to join me. There are some great trails nearby around San Jacinto, San G and the PCT. Maybe we can plan something after the holidays. . .
Pyrotek
Topix Novice

Post by Pyrotek »

Hey Bluewater,

I am down for some trips after the upcoming holidays. I just treated myself to some new gear for xmas too :eek: Would be awesome to get into some snow levels too!