Ram Lakes/Purple Lake Pass?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
BuckSnort
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Ram Lakes/Purple Lake Pass?

Post by BuckSnort »

Anyone been over these passes marked A&B ?

maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Ram Lakes/Purple Lake Pass?

Post by maverick »

Nope, but "A" looks to steep from the west, your "B" option looks doable, but
if your intentions are to get over to the Convict Creek drainage then why not
use Pretty Pass (class 2) east-southeast, above Franklin Lake, and then descend
to Lake Dorothy.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
BuckSnort
Topix Acquainted

Post by BuckSnort »

Thanks Maverick, I was thinking about taking the drainage to the north the Bloody/Laurel Lakes..

Looking at my topo's I see another pass that may work.. East of Franklin Lake just N. of pretty pass..

Clicked on the link in you're Signature... Amazing photo's!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Yeap, that one that looks doable, and would put you right around Bunny Lake.

Bucksnort wrote:
Clicked on the link in you're Signature... Amazing photo's!
Thanks.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

These photos are of the ridge area you labeled"B". The middle one is taken from the drainag to the south, the other two from the middle Ram lake

Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Sorry- I think I meant the first and third photo were taken from the upper Ram Lake.
sparky
Topix Fanatic

Post by sparky »

I have also been looking into these passes. There isnt a lot if info on the internet, but I did find pictures of people that dayhiked to ram lakes pass, from the east and they didnt descend the west side i believe. I have a couple threads dedicated to convict area info and some members posted photos. Might be the same ones above. Looks scary but doable.
BuckSnort
Topix Acquainted

Post by BuckSnort »

Daisy, Thanks you for the pics... Nothing beats an actual photo to get an idea of areas... I have been looking (on maps) of the Ram Lake basin area for close to 8 years now, thinking about doing a trip in there in sept. maybe... Hopefully I will have some solitude.. Got any more pics of the area?
ceragold5150
Topix Acquainted

Post by ceragold5150 »

we drop in just west of the high point - on your map where you see MUIR we follow the letter I and drop right down to Big Ram Lake. Typical boulder hoping. Great place to have all to yourselves. The view from the high point is great. You can see Big Virginia in the distance too! Good fishing. I saw a big cat there on our last trip.

Pass A - i have not used. Pass B my grandmother could hike. you will notice more foot traffic as you near Pass B
BuckSnort
Topix Acquainted

Post by BuckSnort »

ceragold5150 wrote:we drop in just west of the high point - on your map where you see MUIR we follow the letter I and drop right down to Big Ram Lake. Typical boulder hoping. Great place to have all to yourselves. The view from the high point is great. You can see Big Virginia in the distance too! Good fishing. I saw a big cat there on our last trip.

Pass A - i have not used. Pass B my grandmother could hike. you will notice more foot traffic as you near Pass B
Great info, Much appreciated..Any Golden's up there?