Lamarck Col

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Katharine
Topix Newbie
Experience: N/A

Lamarck Col

Post by Katharine »

Any current information on the conditions going over Lamarck? Went over about a month ago and it was pretty easy. I've read that late in the season, most of the snow can be gone leaving mostly ice.
stevet
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Lamarck Col

Post by stevet »

Went over Lamarck Col on the 31st. The snow field surrounds the tarn (except along its northeastern-most edge) and extends to within about 15' of the pass.

We crossed it 1st thing in the morning when it was frozen wearing microspikes; a very easy crossing. There is sufficient track in the snow and suncups so microspikes are not absolutely necessary, but with them we were able to zip right up.
KathyW
Founding Member

Post by KathyW »

On 9.5.11:

Big huge sun cups to step in; so it was pretty easy to cross.

It sounds like it might have snowed a little this weekend; so I guess there could be a dusting of new snow on top of the old snow until it melts off.
Katharine
Topix Newbie

Post by Katharine »

thanks for the info and picture!
BigMan
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by BigMan »

Anyone have any updates for 2012? Thanks.
In wilderness lies the hope of the world.
BigMan
Topix Regular

Post by BigMan »

I'm planning on hiking the Col on 8/14, but I don't have much experience in the snow.

Is any snow gear recommended? (ice ax, crampons, microspikes?)

From what I've read, it might be quite icy in late season, and during a low snow season at that.

Thanks.
stevet
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by stevet »

Mircospikes make an early morning hike up a breeze. But the suncups are deep enough and it is not all that steep so you don't really need any helpers late in the season.
BigMan
Topix Regular

Post by BigMan »

Thanks!
ManOfTooManySports
Topix Regular

Post by ManOfTooManySports »

We went over on Saturday morning (W to E). The snow was firm but no problem. If you get up there when the snow has softened, it should be just fine. Other threads talk about going on rock instead. Yeesh. We had had enough of that nightmarish boulder-hopping to deal with that. The snow was the way to go. It's the only snow on the route.
Fishstick
Topix Novice

Post by Fishstick »

Just went over yesterday, a little icy around noon, but you could still kick in your own steps if you look for the whiter areas and avoid the blue icy spots. We were just in trail runners, no trouble. I would also note that the snow has receded from the lake enough that you can avoid boulder hopping by staying close to the lake shore on either side of the lake. Have a great time