Desolation Wilderness Flows and Crossings

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Quercus
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Desolation Wilderness Flows and Crossings

Post by Quercus »

It has been many years since I've hiked in Desolation Wilderness, and am thinking about doing a trip there later this week. I'd like to hike in from Loon Lake, but have never been that way. I've seen reports here that the trail to Rockbound Lake and Rubicon Resevoirs is clear, but I'm wondering (i.e., concerned) about the Rubicon River crossing south of the reseroir, as well as any other crossings I might have to make. Ideally, I want to hike as far south as Heather Lake and Lake Aloha then work my way back to Loon Lake. I would very much appreciate any input from those of you who've been up there this year or during similar snow/runoff conditions. I'm going solo and don't want to take any unnecessary risks. If necessary, I'll change the trailhead and come in from somewhere else. Thanks.
wildhiker
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Desolation Wilderness Flows and Crossings

Post by wildhiker »

Had a good view of the Crystal Range above the Rubicon River from the Tahoe Rim Trail (NE end of the lake) on Sunday 7/24. Looks like solid snow still above 8000 ft elevation. Still plenty of snow to feed those rivers!
-Phil
lauralai627
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by lauralai627 »

I just got back from a quick 3 day, 2 night trip entering at Loon Lake. We camped just below Rubicon Reservoir and day hiked it to 4Qs lakes. We tried to get all the way to Lake Schmidell but the trail was primitive, only just clear of snow, and proved too hard to follow. We also ran into several very sticky river/creek crossings, including the Rubicon River crossing just south of the reservoir, which (in my opinion) is currently impassable without doing some very risky swimming/wading. The snow wasn't too high where we were hiking (about 8,000 ft) but you could see the water levels rising throughout the day. The other caveat is that the trails were EXTREMELY hard to follow in places.
Quercus
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Post by Quercus »

I really appreciate the input. Based on what I'm hearing, I think I'll forego that trip and go somewhere else. The crossings sound too risky and, as I said, I'm going solo. Attempting to cross under those conditions would be unwise. I don't won't to end up one those headlines... "Unidentified hiker's body swept downstream and has yet to be recovered..." Thinking about heading north to the southern Cascades to hike in Caribou Wilderness or Lassen NP. If I do, I don't know if it would be appropriate to report on that trip, since technically it's not in the "High Sierra"? I'm thinking with conditions how they are this year, we need to keep our options open with regard to hiking destinations.
Scott
Pietro257
Topix Regular

Post by Pietro257 »

I'm bumping this. Does anybody have more info about river crossings or snow levels in the Desolation Wilderness?

I'm leaving Aug. 3 on this route from South Lake Tahoe to Loon Lake:

Mt. Tallac Trail
Gilmore Lake
Dicks Pass
Upper Velma Lake
Camper Flat
Rubicon Reservoir
Loon Lake

Any info is greatly appreciated.
TahoeJeff
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by TahoeJeff »

This is a good resource for Deso conditions:

http://desowv.org/trail-conditions" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"A society that puts equality before freedom will get neither. A society that puts freedom before equality will get a high degree of both."

Milton Friedman
Pietro257
Topix Regular

Post by Pietro257 »

Thanks!